Help with VoIP / Wireless set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

t13nif

Please be gentle :).

I have a Motorola Cable modem, wired PC, wireless router (WRT54G v.4) and laptop. I am trying to set-up my VoIP ATA (allo.com) but nothing is working. Tech support is worse than useless.
I was advised to connect the modem --> wireless router --> ATA --> PC. I had a dial tone but was not able to dial out--30 sec silence, then busy signal. I pinged allo.com and yahoo.com successfully. Still could not dial out. Got the IP address and tried to configure though web panel--entered the appropriate proxy. Still nothing.
Later, i tried connecting the modem--> ATA--> wireless router --> PC. I was able to dial-out but i lost my internet connection. I was able to send packets but not receive and couldn't ping.

Last night i reinstalled my WRT54G--i am wondering if i need to configure any setting to allow the VoIP ATA to work. ALso, what would be the proper physical set up on the ATA on my system? Please help.

I know when I started using Vonage, it only worked if I had the vonage router after the modem, then my wireless router (setup as AP). If I put my wireless router first, then my Vonage router, it wouldn't work properly. They couldn't fully explain it to me, but that's the only way I could get it to work. Something abouy throughput for the phone communicaitons.

Not sure how much this actually helped, but that's my experience.

I have the cable modem connected to the wireless router and the Motorola Vonage router is also connected through the wireless router like a simple computer network connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back