TechSpot

Help with VoIP / Wireless set up

By t13nif
Jun 22, 2007
  1. Please be gentle :).

I have a Motorola Cable modem, wired PC, wireless router (WRT54G v.4) and laptop. I am trying to set-up my VoIP ATA (allo.com) but nothing is working. Tech support is worse than useless.
    I was advised to connect the modem --> wireless router --> ATA --> PC. I had a dial tone but was not able to dial out--30 sec silence, then busy signal. I pinged allo.com and yahoo.com successfully. Still could not dial out. Got the IP address and tried to configure though web panel--entered the appropriate proxy. Still nothing.
    Later, i tried connecting the modem--> ATA--> wireless router --> PC. I was able to dial-out but i lost my internet connection. I was able to send packets but not receive and couldn't ping.

Last night i reinstalled my WRT54G--i am wondering if i need to configure any setting to allow the VoIP ATA to work. ALso, what would be the proper physical set up on the ATA on my system? Please help.

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I know when I started using Vonage, it only worked if I had the vonage router after the modem, then my wireless router (setup as AP). If I put my wireless router first, then my Vonage router, it wouldn't work properly. They couldn't fully explain it to me, but that's the only way I could get it to work. Something abouy throughput for the phone communicaitons.

Not sure how much this actually helped, but that's my experience.

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,929   +167

I have the cable modem connected to the wireless router and the Motorola Vonage router is also connected through the wireless router like a simple computer network connection

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.