help with windows installer

Status
Not open for further replies.
windows installer randomly starts installing whenever i'm on my computer, I have no clue how to get it off, if someone could help that would be great. I have Windows XP also.

haha, that sounds like a funny "problem".
Here are some thoughts:
1) Do you happen to have a Windows installer disk in a CD-ROM drive? I had to ask.
2) Do you have a CD-ROM emulator, like Daemon Tools, with an XP image loaded?
3) Do you have another partition, which perhaps has an autorun loaded to it? For example if you have a drive "E:" partition, go in look for the file "autorun". A simple test would be to just double-click the drive in My Computer, if it shows the files instead of running something, you don't have an autorun. If it does have an autorun, rename the file.
4) Have you recently ran any sort of recovery tool for Windows? Perhaps it got stuck in startup and occasionally tries to "finish" it's job?

I would ask though, is the "windows installer" you speak of, actually installing "Windows". Or trying to install something else? Cause that could be other issues. For example, if it's trying to install Office, meaning it wants to load a feature.

Does it ask you for a disk? If so, what? Does it seem like it finishes or just goes away or do you cancel it?

If that doesn't help then give us some more details on the message itself and what it says and what you do about it.

good luck

Daemon

I have this dumass TB Daemon thing that always ends up messing up. It seems to be coming from my ebay account, so that may be it but I have no clue how to fix it.

I've never heard of TB Daemon. Mostly when I hear "daemon" I think of CD emulators. But maybe it's something else.

If you can't remove it from Control Panel Add/remove programs. Then look at the entry in the Start menu and see if it has it's own uninstaller.
If not, find it in the Program Files directory and browser in there for an uninstaller. It might be named "unwise" or "remove" or "uninst" or something like that.

If none of those work still, then you'll have to hack it out. Basically, remove its startup entries, files and registry keys. But that's a more advanced issue.

That may or may not be your issue. You can try a program such as "autoruns" from www.sysinternals.com and see if you can get it out of startup as the first step. See if that changes anything.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back