Help with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMansLand

hello,

I have a notebook (Acer Aspire 3100 Series) and just recently it started to play up, including freezing, ignoring CTRL + ALT + DEL, Alt + F4, Hard Reset etc., for me to shut it off i had to pull out the AC power and the Battery.

I have currently formated it and re-installed it. but still no luck.

The problem is when i logon (or attempt to) it freezes. i can write 2/3 letters if im lucky.. if not, just freezes. the PC is over 5 years old and ive never had a problem with it before.

when i look into Services it says that TCP/IP can not start due to a hardware device is not working, but according to bios, UltimateCD, Knoppix everything is working.. it is really starting to bug me

Any help is greatly appreciated and any more information can be given.

Thanks

NoMansLand

Safe mode boots in perfectly, chkdsk /f & /r comes up with No errors. my processor gets hot.. but it has been doing that since i first bought it (AMD Sempron 3100+ Mobile) HDD stays cool, ram Stays cool

Edit: i did try to install vista, but... it didnt want to install my PC is too old for it.

I'd guess that there is a possible driver or resource conflict. Try disconnecting as many devices as possible from your PC and then attempt to boot.

If that fails, download all of your latest drivers and toss them on a CD or flash drive. Head into Safe Mode on the problematic PC and uninstall all of the drivers via the Device Manager. Try booting normally and reinstall the drivers if you manage to get in.

I've done the first Idea, but all i can remove is my Wireless card.. rest is all inbuilt.. i will try the other one.. and post back

No help with it... it seems to be worse..

but looking into Device Manager: some struck my mind that ive never seen before..

WAN Package Manager (PPPOE)
WAN Package Manager (LoTe)
WAN Package Manager

etc...

and SiS RAID driver, which my pc only has 1 hdd.

So thanks in advance

A Five year old PC is bound to be trouble... particularly in a notebook.
I would replace the hard drive with a7200 rpm model by Seagate or Western Digital. Clean your CPU fan and cooling channels with DustOff or other difluoroethane gas (not a vacuum cleaner or compressor), then be sure it has at least 2 GB of DDR2 PC2-5300, or at least PC2-4200 memory modules... Fill it all the way up to 4GB if you can find it in your budget.. Be sure all memory modules are the same frequency.

Unfortuanetly i cant afford all of that right now... i wish i could but i cant is there any other way to fix it or is it all hardware? and my fan is clean from dust i cleaned it yesterday

Replace the thermal paste on the cpu. If you want the service manual for that laptop PM me.

Consider what is going on. The WAN package contains features for WAN (Wide Area Network) connectivity, E1/T1 connectivity, Ethernet WAN, Q-in-Q features, PPP/MLPPP and other features.
The others are in the same ballpark.
When you consider what has been going on with your computer, are these notices relevant?
SiS is usually related to Video Card drivers or defects.
Part of your system says something is not working. The other part says it is. So what does your own observation tell you.
You do have an "old" computer, reliability wise. Has it been used enough to make wear and worn out parts an issue?
The service manual is found on the ACER site.
Since the budget is an issue, you need to do some heavy investigations... but realize that a key failure could cause a loss of data, or a significant hardware failure.

It could possibly be the cpu, but it is not guaranteed that after replacing the TIM it will be fixed. I do not tottaly agree with what raybay posted. Firstly SiS is in no way related to defects. SiS is a company that produces silicon chips to be used in video cards by them; whether integrated or not. Secondly, by removing your Wireless Card, you will start seeing errors in device manager, because it detects that the previous installed hardware is not present anymore, and it will list all of the drivers associated with that hardware that cannot start due to it not being present.
EDIT: If I were you, I would replace the thermal paste on the CPU, because usually these types of problems can be exhibited by either: 1. Hot running CPU
2. Bad RAM
3. Damaged hardware

There is nothing on it.. i have a 8 year old computer that im typing on right now working just fine, and i use the laptop and this one the same... games, music, web, my mates going to look at it, he has some more knowledge than me with computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back