help with wireless internet for a new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

prash

Hi, I'm asking this question for a friend whose getting a new laptop for her birthday. She initially came to me for a recommendation on a laptop to buy and it had to have a cd-writer and able to connect to internet wirelessly. So i selected her a laptop with built in Wifi G.adaptor. Now from what I understand her PC has an adsl modem, but from my experience the best way for her to allow her laptop to share the internet would be for her to buy a wireless capable router/modem, and then hardwire that into her PC. But set it upto allow the laptop in her bedroom to connect to it wirelessly. This is easy of course as i've done it for a router/modem with 4 pcs attached and a laptop.However this is the only solution i know of.

The problem is a new router/modem would probably cost another £100. IS there anyway she can connect wirelessly with her laptop to the internet without the need to buy a adsl modem with router? so basically a more cost saving option?

many thanks

You can get El Cheapo (TM) wireless routers for $60 and less. Not sure about G capability and their quality though.

If her existing DSL modem is also a router and not just a plain bridge then you could get a wireless access point - those are a tad cheaper than wireless routers.

Another solution would be a wireless adapter in her PC and use Windows internet connection sharing but that solution would be rather dodgy and unreliable.

Prash, you find this is the average price for what you want at the moment. It provide everything you need. You be able to use it as a DSL modem, share the DSL conenction, wirelessly with the laptop, use the built in four port switch to add a couple of hundred comuters, good NAT/SPI firewall. Hope this helps

Linksys Wireless ADSL Modem + 4 port Switch

Nodsu said:
Not sure about G capability and their quality though.

This also doesn't have to be the case of the wireless device you buy. You can have her get a B compatible wireless router and it will work fine. It will be a little cheaper as well.

Unless she will be doing lots of file transfers, or large file transfers, between her desktop and her laptop then she will never be able to tell the difference. And if it isn't a big deal to wait a little extra for the larger files I would get a B compatible component anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back