Help with XP installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

t1z

I am currently trying to do a clean install of Windows XP. The problem that I am having is that when the installation process proceeds to copy the files it seems like it isn't copying at the speed that it should. I started the install at about 3pm today and left for a about 3.5hrs, when I came back it was only at 52%. I have tried using two different cd-rom drives and hardrives, in every combination and I still receive that same result. I appreciate and help or advice for this problem. I am almost tempted to just install Ubuntu again and say "screw XP."

Could be a problem with the XP installation CD. Can you get your hands on another one and it?

How big is the hard drive? and how much memory is installed?
Did you reformat the hard drive before the reinstall?
I suggest you go the web site of the hard drive manufacturer, and run their version of their drive fitness software. Every manufacturer but Toshiba has this software. This will give you an idea of the integrity of the hard drive.

If the Windows disc was bad, it would quit. If it has a small diagonal scratch, it would only slow down temporarily. So I doubt that it is the disc.

They do install slowly, if you have 512 MB of memory or less, but 3.5 hours is a definite alert to some sort of problem somewhere in the computer, or an infestation associated with the computers... unless that 3.5 hours included the reformat time... which can take as long as an hour and 15 minutes if your memory is low, and the drive is large... say over 250 GB

Computer specs

Well I have about 1.5GB of memory, one hard drive is only about 32GB, and the other is only about 80GB. I know it's not the CD because it is brand new and there are no scratches on it whatsoever. I hope that this information helps. In the mean time I am going to check out my hard drive manufacturer websites like you suggested and I will get back to you.

Are the hard drives different types? 32 MB drives are usually a very old design type, often with 4200 rpm. You need 5.94 MB of free space projected for end of install... if they are primary.
If you are installing the 80 GB (which is usually 7200 rpm, or at least 5400 rpm), I would first disconnect the 32 GB drive. Then reconnect it after install.
If you are installing WXP to the 32 GB drive, that drive could be your problem... based on design type, free space, and rotational speed. But even then, I would connect only the drive to which you are doing the install... and I would suspect the 32 GB drive, particularly if it is a Maxtor, Samsung, or Hitachi.

I have come across this before and it was traced several times to a bad memory module - you don't explain why you are doing a reinstall so maybe there is a link here? Try swapping out the RAM modules to see if this fixes the problem - 3.5 hours is way too long....

It can be the memory. Or it can be the hard drive. Or it can be the hard drive configuration. There is no way to know until tests are begun. Memory is actually less likely to be the case than an old hard drive, or a hard drive mismatch, in our experience. But a four-hour memtest86 can tell, only if you can first install Windows.
Try the had drives first, one at a time. That is the easiest and the cheapest, and the least harmful. Then if this changes nothing in the problem, buy or borrow the memory.

Ok, so I have tried both hard drives by themselves with no difference in result. If it does happen to be a bad memory module, would I have to replace both of the sticks that I have, or would it be just one of them. I will try it using each one singly and see what happens I guess.

I'll bet the memory does not make a difference.
There should have been a difference between the two drives, based on their configurations alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back