Help with XP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to replace my motherboard. I have WinXP and have tried MANY times to upgrade to SP2, but I will get a brief glimpse of the logo sceen and then it will reboot. I can boot it into Safe mode, but nothing else I've tried seems to work to get it past the logo screen. I also won't be able to upgrade to Vista (if I choose to) because I don't have sp2.

Any ideas?????

Yes, I found and upgraded all the new drivers I could find (and BIOS). It's an eMachines tower with an AMD Sempron processor (new mobo, CPU, and fan). I found that the DEP with the Semprons is an issue, but that was after removing SP2 fo the umpteenth time. I'm afraid to install sp2 again and have the fix not work. It's very time-consuming and frustrating going back and forth.

Found the answer!! Turns out that Microsoft had a "resolution" that they deleted off of their support website. It has to do with the fact that I have an AMD processor and the Intelppm.sys prevents the pc from getting past the BSOD.
Here's the fix:

1) Unplug any peripherals (cameras, printers, anything plugged into USB ports, etc)

2) Go into Start, then Run, then Regedit.

2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm.

3) Change the Start value to '4'.

4) Exit Regedit and restart computer.

Worked perfectly and am now successfully running SP2 on my pc!!

Tx for posting that - hopefully many will read and take note and others will find it.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back