help: xp/98se; marvell yukon lan; dsl

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgoodwin

Hi folks. I have a dual-boot system with XP and 98se. The yukon/dsl connection work fine under XP, but under 98se it connects fine but does not function. I'm sure it's an IP/configuration problem, but I can't figure it out. I've done all the obvious uninstall/reinstall without success.

Does XP do something to the on-board lan or 1-meg modem which leaves 98se unable to talk to them? Any ideas?

Cheers,
Simon

My DSL ISP has a software 'access manager' which manages the password and negotiates the connection. It's a ppoe (something like that) driver which binds to the lan card. So it goes through it's connection routine successfully, but I am unable to surf use other connectivity (IRC, etc). I'm sure it's a configuration problem within the OS which is keeping them from talking.

I'm just about to disable the on-board ethernet and try going back to a old D-Link 520TX. Would it be thoeretically possible to use both lan devices (D-Link for 98se and Yukon for XP) connected to a hub or router and disabling the device not in use by a particular OS?

Cheers,
Simon

it may be a driver issue with the onboard lan
the one Os does not realy see the other
look to the MB website for 98 drivers for that lan
I had a yukon that would not work with 98 even though they made driver for that OS
worked great with XP

In Windows 98, After establishing the PPPoE session, open the Windows command prompt and run the commands "ipconfig /all" and "route print". Paste the output here.

Yes, you can use two network cards no problem and yes, you can disable the one(s) you don't need.

Thanks for the help all. I ended up disabling the on-board lan card and installing an old d-link t530 pci card (10/100 32-bit) which works great under both OS's. I presume there's no noticable performance hit for this solution?

Cheers,
Simon

Nodsu said:
In Windows 98, After establishing the PPPoE session, open the Windows command prompt and run the commands "ipconfig /all" and "route print". Paste the output here.

Yes, you can use two network cards no problem and yes, you can disable the one(s) you don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back