Help! XP won't let me past the login screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzmnky

I went into the 'user accounts' option in the Control Panel and turned off the 'Use the Welcome Screen' option to see if I would rather want to use the classic style. But when I turned my computer on this morning, I entered my password and it told me it was wrong! I am the only user on my computer.
I origionally bought it from my uncle, so I gave him a call and asked for his old user account and password just in case, but no luck. It was a long shot anyway since I deleted all accounts when I got it.
It is the correct User Name and Password, I'm 100% positive.
Does anyone know a way around the login screen? Maybe a default setting so that I could change it back?
Please someone help me! Thanks!

Try safe mode (Press F8 during boot). Maybe you can try your password on the admin account.

Safemode will work if you have XP Home. If you have XP Professional, you might have a tougher time defeating your password.

There are programs out there in which you can reset your password, if all else fails...

You may also have a corrupted administrator account.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot, though I already tried in safe mode and it didn't work. I'll post back up here with the results.

Nope. Nadda. I have XP Home and my password didn't work in safe mode. The Password Recovery tool is cool agissi, but I can't use it until I'm already logged on. But I'll keep it for when I finally do get it working.
There's a thread that talked about using the Windows cd to reinstall the OS. I'm thinking that might work, right? Though I can't try it until I get back on Sunday. Is there another way? I would rather not start back at the basic version. I'm going to call Microsoft up tomorrow and sit on hold. I've been through there site and can't find anything on my problem. I'll post again tomorrow. Thanks.

When you boot into safemode, it will give you the "administrator" account to login with. Leave the password blank if it asks you for one.

Don't logon under your account.

You can change your password from the administrator account.

If your drive is formatted in FAT32, it is also possible to reset your password by deleting a certain file. If you can find out whether or not your drive is FAT32 or NTFS format, then let me know and maybe we can work that out.

Reinstalling your operating system (repair) will not fix it. Although formatting your drive clean (no data) and installing a fresh copy of Windows will fix all your problems, no doubt. :)

There are also password changing tools that work from a bootable floppy/CD..

I'm going to try all three, though the boot disk seems a little complicated to me.
Rick, I should be running Fat32. Though I'm not positive, my computer isn't that fast and I only have about 25 gigs, so I don't think I have NTFS.

Hey guys, I'm posting from my computer! I do feel kinda dum though since it was Ricks suggestion as just signing up as the 'administrator' with no password that worked. I did try administrator, but I used all the passwords I could think of and didn't try it blank.
The best part is, I was leaving for the weekend and knowing that my computer was useless would have drove me insane! But now I don't have to go through that.
I do appreciate all the help though. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back