TechSpot

Help

By tison
Dec 30, 2008
  1. Hello,

I am having a problem with my PC.

The error is - Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I can not do anything from this point? I have tried to reinstall Windows XP but the CD is not recognized.

Am I SOL? The PC is only 3 years old...

2. tuant

tuant TS Booster Posts: 201

3. tison

tison TS Rookie Topic Starter

I can not enter anything, so I can not get to the places that I am being referred to in the article Tuan referred me to?

When I press any key it goes through a couple a quick screen and brings me back to the Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

I can prompt the F1 and the F12 keys...Is there something in there that can help me recover?

4. tuant

Have you checked your BIOS to make sure CD/DVD ROM is the first boot?

5. tison

Can I do this through the F12 key?

6. tuant

Sure if F12 brings to you to the boot option where you can select which device to boot off first.

When you first turn on your computer you should see something like "Press (key) to enter setup/BIOS". Within BIOS there should be a boot menu '1st boot, 2nd boot, 3rd boot'. By default it's set to : 1st boot = Floppy, 2nd boot = CD/DVD Rom, 3rd boot = Hard disk

On most computers its the DEL key however for HP is F10.

7. tison

Let me try these...I will post tomorrow to let you know if they worked.

Thanks for your time and effort,

tina

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.