Hendo Hoverboard is the closest thing to Marty McFly's levitating toy

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One by one, it seems that crowdfunding websites are enabling us to build the devices of science fiction folklore. The Oculus Rift was thrust into the mainstream tech community via Kickstarter a year and a half before Facebook scooped up the project and now, a separate Kickstarter project aims to bring another futuristic device to life: the hoverboard.

Marty McFly’s gravity-defying toy captured the imagination of millions when it first appeared on the big screen in Back to the Future Part II. The only problem, of course, is the fact that it – like the movie it appeared in – was pure fiction.

hendo hoverboards world real hendo hover kickstarter back to the future hendo hoverboard hendo hoverboard

The Hendo Hoverboard, however, is anything but a toy. It’s a true-to-life hoverboard that uses four disc-shaped “hover engines” to create a magnetic field that generates lift, thus levitating the board. At present, it only works on surfaces with a non-ferromagnetic conductor but the team behind it is hoping to change that eventually.

Truth be told, the Hendo Hoverboard is just a proof-of-concept to demonstrate the hover engine technology. Its design was inspired by architecture, we’re told, with the vision of being able to flip a switch and levitate entire buildings out of harm’s way (think earthquakes, floods, etc.).

hendo hoverboards world real hendo hover kickstarter back to the future hendo hoverboard hendo hoverboard

Its creators, Greg and Jill Henderson, say the technology is similar to a maglev train but is more efficient and more affordable.

Perfecting the technology, and in turn, the Hoverboard, will require time and resources which is where the Kickstarter campaign comes in. The campaign offers a number of reward levels including a 5-minute ride on their board for $100 but the real fun starts with the $299 Whitebox Developer Kit.

The dev kit includes a hover engine set with enough surface to hover over. The team invites users to try and hover something of their own design. But if you’re after a true Hendo Hoverboard, be prepared to throw down some serious money - $10,000 – for the opportunity.

Permalink to story.

Hahaha. No. Just no.

The fact that you have to go to a "hover park" just to use this is just silly given that the board itself is expensive thus the adoption rate is probably going to be low so why build these parks?

In fact, the thing barely levitates so how are people going to shred on these?

Some people have no imagination or sense of wonder.
Did you not read the article? it is a proof of concept.

Hahaha. No. Just no.

The fact that you have to go to a "hover park" just to use this is just silly given that the board itself is expensive thus the adoption rate is probably going to be low so why build these parks?

yea, my problem is that you need a certain type of surface under it, which to me, defeats the idea of hover technology

I had a toy hovercraft as a kid which actually worked with a fan. What you need are jets, and it could save trillions in road repair.

Hahaha. No. Just no.

yea, my problem is that you need a certain type of surface under it, which to me, defeats the idea of hover technology

They did however point out that they are still working on the hover board to make it able to hover over any surface... People that always see the negative side of things and completely disregard any other information given that goes against their negativity irk me...

Yeah, and I invented time machine, when I use it I travel in time forward, about 1 second per second, currently its proof of concept, eventually it will be upgraded to allow accelerate time and/or travel backwards
Praise Me, The Great Scientist!

Hahaha. No. Just no.

Yeah and if you would have read a bit more, or probably "grow" some comprehensive reading out of your behind you would've also read the part were they are perfecting the technology in order to not having to need the non-ferromagnetic surfaces.

Hahaha. No. Just no.

Yeah and if you would have read a bit more, or probably "grow" some comprehensive reading out of your behind you would've also read the part were they are perfecting the technology in order to not having to need the non-ferromagnetic surfaces.

yes I did read that, thank you for jumping to conclusions. The tech they are working with will need to change for an all terrain. Thanks for trying to hurt my feels.

Hahaha. No. Just no.

They did however point out that they are still working on the hover board to make it able to hover over any surface... People that always see the negative side of things and completely disregard any other information given that goes against their negativity irk me...

and yet you want me to know that you are irk. I'm sorry for speaking my mind. I already know they are working on it, but tech they are using is limited and they will need to find something else. Have a good day.

Next 20 years maybe this would be mainstream but right now it's just a start in the right direction.

This is just a proof of concept and it interesting however the end results may show how important friction actually is.

I would really love to hear your explanation on how magnets work with cement and asphalt.

I don't know but these guys are actually trying to figure it out, so laugh less and entertain and begin to understand the idea behind "proof of concept" and "kickstarting" something, instead of bitching before the efforts were even made.

I don't know but these guys are actually trying to figure it out, so laugh less and entertain and begin to understand the idea behind "proof of concept" and "kickstarting" something, instead of bitching before the efforts were even made.

Like the many kickstarters that have failed or proven to be a scam.

Okay.

and yet you want me to know that you are irk. I'm sorry for speaking my mind. I already know they are working on it, but tech they are using is limited and they will need to find something else. Have a good day.

Ofcourse they will need to figure something else out. The fact of the matter is that they are trying, hence it being a proof of concept, ie, it is possible to do. If they could somehow manage to find a way to negate to a certain extent, gravitational force along with thrusters for example, it could work... All I am saying is that by them expanding the realm of what we believe to be possible, it opens up the possibility for innovation.

Actually you all need to take a deep breath. These guys are NOT making a BTTF style hoverboard. This is a proof of concept for a new type of MAGLEV that they say is superior to current technology. If the engineering and science behind that is sound then it sounds very intriguing. It is the author who made the BTTF reference but these guys are not claiming that. This hoverboard will be a novelty, I get the impression they want easy to build maglev transit systems.

Back