HERE WE GO AGAIN...ROUTER, 5 port switch ROUTER off MODEM? and Wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have tried many resolutions and nothing. It all worked before with 2 cheap routers off of my cable modem (High Speed Cogeco Cable) but I couldn't password protect the routers because my wireless for laptop wouldn't log on at all?

1) So now I have a new rca cable modem (from provider) to a linksys ezx55w 5 port switch (not in the uplink port I assume since I have tried with and without from modem).

2) From switch to D-Link Di-524 (for wireless in yard and garage if I choose to bring laptop out here or around) to two computers in garage

3) From switch to 100+ foot of cat cable to house to an X-Micro also wireless for where laptop mainly stays) (cheap router but works great)

So all should be fine as I have researched and had replies to do it this way for ease of not conflicting hooking 2 routers together.

NOT SO...lol.

After reading I do not see if there is something in the settings I should do to each router still...since they (to me) are on seperate lines from the 5 port switch? Or maybe is this a cause from my provider not allowing me to use 2 seperate lines as I see it as well?

ANY HELP is greatly appreciated please been working on this for over 3 weeks now and read so much that all the scenerios don't make sense anymore.
Take Care,
STBEAR007

the linksys is not a router it switch it's not a managed switch
you can not give it a ip address
try the d-link first then the switch turn off dhcp in the x-micro
past that I don't do wireless

Thank u for the reply ...

yes it states from modem to switch to a router and another from switch to another router. I will try your scenerio and let you know. I am not to worried about wireless until after I get everything working properly first...
take Care,
STBEAR007

modem --> router -->switch -->system(s)
you can then populate all slots in both the router and the switch and
allow DHCP to assign addresses.

your wireless will still connect to the router even if all ports are hardwired :)

thanks again all for the help/info. I just reverted back to my older (slower netgear router) off of the dling for an extender/access point. works great Yet the faster x-micro is suppose to do this , at faster speed of course, but for some reason won't. So once again thanks and deal with the slower for what works,
STBEAR007

Hi.

I don't know if it's a similar scenario but what I did in my case is:

- from Cable modem's ethernet port to 3Com router's WAN port.
- from one of the 3Com's LAN ports to a switching-hub's Uplink.
- from a DI524 wireless router's WAN port to one of the switching-hub's LAN ports.
- set both the 3Com and the DI524 routers as DHCP servers.

All conections using straight cables - no need for crossovers.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back