Here's a strange one

Status
Not open for further replies.

hnsexeter

Screen sort of wobbles, checked the refresh resolution etc all fine, unplugged the monitor, tried a new graphics card, tried a different monitor with no success.

Can someone please help its making me feel sick :dead:

edit: there are also no speakers, or TV's mobile phones etc near the monitor - the wobbling / flickering starts right from BIOS and gets faster the higher the refresh rate is.

The only thing I haven't changed is the power plug

Probably time to get a new screen. Are your speakers close/next to your monitor? If they are move them and see if that helps.

IBN said:
Probably time to get a new screen. Are your speakers close/next to your monitor? If they are move them and see if that helps.

Thanks for your reply, tried a different screen and different AGP graphics card, and used the old wobbling monitor on another system which works fine, no electical devices are close by

A few othr things that can cause "wobbles" on a CRT monitor. 1. cordless phones ( particularly 900 mhz and 2.4 Ghz range.) 2. Florescent lights

thanks for your input guys, full virus and spyware check, changed the power cable and used a different socket - no avail.

There is a wireless network in the locality and cordless phones but these were in the office before the screen and the the screen has been fine for the first few weeks.

The only thing left to do is a full hd format ?

Its a hardware issue, not software.

It is getting interference from somewhere, something had to change. Either that or you have 2 faulty monitors.

This is definitely a hardware issue and most likely EMI or RFI. Two monitors not working is unlikely.

I don't really know this for a fact, but I would think it possible for home electical wiring to carry interference produced by other electrical devices to other outlets. Might be kind of far fetched, but I think it is worth ruling out.

Even though its quite a bit of work, maybe you can relocate your PC to another (remote) area of the office/house to see if the problem persists.

If you can't lick the problem, there's one thing which should work - Get an LCD.

hnsexeter said:
Thanks for your reply, tried a different screen and different AGP graphics card, and used the old wobbling monitor on another system which works fine, no electical devices are close by

You've tried the same monitor in another system and it works fine...... But was it in the same location?

IBN said:
You've tried the same monitor in another system and it works fine...... But was it in the same location?

both monitors work fine in a different location, the PC is in an office of around 6 other PC's (unaffected) all connected to a wired / wireless network and there is a cordless phone base unit about 1 meter away from the monitor itself.

The base unit and wireless have been in there a good few weeks likewise the monitor with no conflicts, its only the last week or so it's started this bizarre behaviour

I suggest just taking everthing apart looking at every little detail especially the PSU, clean everything out as best as possible. Put it back together as best you can and make sure all connection wires are plugged in correctly. Pray then turn on that moniter. If it still messes up the only thing i can think of is a hard drive swipe.

hnsexeter said:
both monitors work fine in a different location

Its the location then. Have you tried connecting another monitor to your system? Does it have the same problem? Try that in different locations. If another monitor has the same problem in that location, then its got to be some kind of intereference in that location.

Possibly try another VGA wire from another monitor.Other than that make sure your graphics card is seated in its slot properly and update its drivers. It could also be your PSU is dying. But I dont know how to exactly diagnose that.

PS
Dont format your Hard Drive yet, I dont think thats going to make a difference.

It almost can't be the power supply, its outside interference of some sort.

If it was the power supply the only way it could effect the monitor is if it was rapidly fluctuating the voltage to the video card. There are at least 2 reasons why this isn't the problem. 1 is that other things in the system would be acting funny or dead already, and 2 the video card has a whole bunch of electronics on it and I bet some are voltage regulators, so the supply going to the monitor will be steady (or at least within an acceptable range).

Thanks for your input guys - problem resolved

It was interference - although from what I don't know - guessing at something in the company next door at the other side of the wall

Moved the monitor and all is well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back