Here's everything we know about 'Mortal Kombat X' thus far

Shawn Knight

Staff member

mortal kombat box art revealed pre-orders open

With less than a week to go until E3 takes over the Los Angeles Convention Center, Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon revealed the next game in the storied franchise will launch in 2015. The news even comes with a new trailer which looks extremely impressive although it doesn’t appear to show actual gameplay footage.

Boon recently announced Mortal Kombat X (pronounced “Ex”) via Twitter. In a reply to a fan asking when we’d see a gameplay trailer, Boon said that was coming during E3 – indicating what we see in the clip below isn’t actual gameplay footage.

mortal kombat

Scanning his Twitter feed for this story, I learned that Mortal Kombat X will feature new fighters and that two of them will be at E3. These are of course in addition to Scorpion and Sub-Zero, both of which are featured in the trailer.

The storyline will be both a continuation from MK9 mixed in with a new story – Boon said this was hard to explain right now. When asked why DC versus Marvel has been delayed, Boon replied "because it never existed?"

We also know that for the first time ever, players will have the ability to choose from multiple variations of each character in a move that will impact both strategy and fighting style. There's also a new fully-connected gameplay experience where players are launched into a persistent online contest in which every fight matters in a global battle for supremacy.         

The title will arrive sometime in 2015 for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and on the PC (sorry, Wii U) and is available for pre-order as of writing. And for those that care, the song in the announcement trailer is called “Can’t Be Stopped” by Wiz Khalifa (it was written for the game).

Permalink to story.

Is there a proliferation of second tier characters? that is what tends to happen as versions go on.

I tried to watch it but that disgusting racket made me cut it short.
It's a good thing the they pointed out that it's pronounced 'ex' and not 'cross' or 'ten' and didn't use 'z' instead because what would that be... 'zed' or 'zee'?

Back