Here's how many iPhones it takes to stop an AK-74 round

Shawn Knight

Staff member

We’ve seen what a .50 caliber bullet can do to an iPhone 6 Plus but have you ever wondered just how many iPhones it’d take to stop a bullet? If you answered “yes” to that question (or you simply despise all things Apple), this video from YouTube user EverythingApplePro should be quite satisfying.

The host lined seven iPhones of varying models (three of Apple’s large-screen iPhone 6 Plus, an iPhone 6, an iPhone 6 “clone” and a couple of smaller iPhones (perhaps 5 / 5s models?)) along with a Samsung Galaxy S6 bringing up the rear.

He then proceeds to fire off a Russian AK-74 at close proximity to see just how many handsets the bullet can penetrate. For those curious, the bullet in question can travel a distance of 2,900 feet per second.

Unfortunately, our shooter didn’t have access to a high-end slow-motion camera but the results are still quite impressive (and we now know how many iPhones you’d need in your pocket to save your life).

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Physics fail on many levels. Design of experiments fail as well.

That aside, there is some redeeming entertainment value.

Since every next iPhone is thinner than the previous one, I would expect it takes 6 iPhone-s 6 to stop a bullet.

Apple should consider to put some kevlar layers inside or replace the backplate with thin opaque armor

I was a little concerned that he was going to destroy a perfectly good can of Redbull. Fortunately he moved it before testing the iPhones.

What exactly is an "AK-74 round"? I've never seen this size printed on an ammo box.

What exactly is an "AK-74 round"? I've never seen this size printed on an ammo box.
5.45X39 is the caliber. Standard (Current) issue round for those rifles is called "7n6".

Article is poorly written concerning identity of specific ammunition used, specific rifle (AK-74 is very generic, it's like calling all trucks a Ford F-150) ..was it surplus or current commercially available ammunition ?... how far was target from rifle, and a few other factors. Regardless, results would be the same in the end. This is what happens when a tech site tries to chat about big boy toys.

Guess it would have been to much work to actually tell us how many bullets it took in the article?

iSheep: "Blasphemy!"
Fandroid: "Best thing to do with an iPhone!"
Microsoftie: "Just 1 WP-phone stops any bullet, because we all know Windows slows down everything!"
BlackBerryFan: "Don't ask me, I don't exist anymore."

5.45X39 is the caliber. Standard (Current) issue round for those rifles is called "7n6".

Article is poorly written concerning identity of specific ammunition used, specific rifle (AK-74 is very generic, it's like calling all trucks a Ford F-150) ..was it surplus or current commercially available ammunition ?... how far was target from rifle, and a few other factors. Regardless, results would be the same in the end. This is what happens when a tech site tries to chat about big boy toys.
You said it, this is a tech site. Do you really think that this article is so serious that it will provide all this pointless information just to please some gun lover on a tech forum? Video is made just for fun, they are not trying to launch a spaceship into the orbit, so all this information is unnecessary. Even if it was there I doubt you would understand any of it.

Do you really think that this article is so serious that it will provide all this pointless information just to please some gun lover on a tech forum?

Stating the physical dimensions of the round in is not pointless information, as most people on tech forums (at least this one) are reasonably skilled at math, which provides a hell of a lot of context for the video. What is written above is the equivalent of posting "a card that can run games on high settings" to a non-tech form.

Stating the physical dimensions of the round in is not pointless information, as most people on tech forums (at least this one) are reasonably skilled at math, which provides a hell of a lot of context for the video. What is written above is the equivalent of posting "a card that can run games on high settings" to a non-tech form.
I didn't mean that it's pointless to have that info, it's not, but in a case like this I bet most don't care about all the possible information.

You believe wrong. That is AK-74. Check out the difference: http://www.diffen.com/difference/AK-47_vs_AK-74

The AK=74 uses the standard NATO 5.56 round, came after the AK-47 and is still in use today, BUT if you watched the video, the ammo displayed was 7.62. Frankly, at the close range used either round has maximum penetration power and I personally would recommend not volunteering to stand in front of either (been there, done that, and have the detachable leg to prove it!)

Now that's exactly the correct use of an Apple product. They can be used as doorstops too once you fold them into a wedge shape. I hear they fold easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back