Here's how to get a free Chromecast from Spotify (and other great deals)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The streaming music scene is really heating up. Apple Music crossed the 10 million paid subscriber threshold last month, Spotify is rumored to be approaching the 30 million listener mark and Tidal received exclusive rights to Kanye West's latest album this past weekend. All of this is in addition to the fact that Pandora may be looking for a buyer just months after it acquired assets from Rdio.

Given the competitive landscape, it should come as little surprise that obtaining paying subscribers is a top priority among those jockeying for position. Regardless of the industry, such fierce competition is almost always a "win" for the consumer.

That said, Spotify is running a new promotion in which it's offering up a free Chromecast for those that commit to three months of paid premium service up front at the standard rate of $9.99 per month ($29.97 total). Unfortunately, the offer only applies to new listeners as those that have subscribed to the premium or unlimited service in the past, are currently premium subscribers or have taken a trial offer aren't eligible.

For those that are eligible, Spotify says you'll receive an e-mail with a redemption code within seven days of signing up for the offer. Said code can then be used to "buy" the Chromecast from the Google Store. Codes must be redeemed before July 31, 2016, while the promotion itself runs through February 28 (or while supplies last).

If you've been looking to give Spotify a shot or are interested in buying a Chromecast, there's little reason to pass on this offer if you qualify. Even if you never use the Spotify subscription, you're still coming out ahead as a Chromecast retails for $35. Just remember that you'll need to cancel the subscription before the promotion runs out, otherwise you'll automatically become a paying monthly subscriber.

Those that aren't eligible still may be able to save some money each month as Spotify is one of several companies that offer deep discounts to students. Optionally, Target is offering a $10 gift card for anyone that buys a Chromecast through their site.

Sling TV offers a similar deal as those that commit to three months of service up front can receive a free Roku 2, half off the price of a Roku 3 or $50 off the cost of an Amazon Fire TV.

Permalink to story.

Just like the cable companies. Lure in new subscribers with gifts and good prices, while screwing the ones who got you to where you are. Apparently I am going to have to contact spotify and let then know if I do not get a free chromecast, then I will be cancelling my premium paid subscription which I have had since the beginning. If they do not want to acknowledge my business, then I will no longer do business with them.

How to get a Chromecast free.....free.....meaning cost nothing... except you must commit to three months of paid premium service up front at the standard rate of $9.99 per month ($29.97 total).

Not free.

Apparently I am going to have to contact spotify and let then know if I do not get a free chromecast, then I will be cancelling my premium paid subscription which I have had since the beginning. If they do not want to acknowledge my business, then I will no longer do business with them.

Lol, you act like you think they care. They don't. Stop crying about not getting something for free and get back to life. We're adults, not children. You aren't entitled to anything. Life sucks and then you die. You can either get over it, spend your life complaining.

Lol, you act like you think they care. They don't. Stop crying about not getting something for free and get back to life. We're adults, not children. You aren't entitled to anything. Life sucks and then you die. You can either get over it, spend your life complaining.

What's it to you? He will contact them, if they don't care he'll cancel the account, simple as that, not crying nor complaining whatsoever.

Unless we are reading two different things there is nothing wrong with his post. And I agree with his opinion with the only difference I'm not from US or UK so I wouldn't get one for free either way. However this smells bad for Spotify because it may bring more discomfort than anything else.

Misleading title - not free!

It's free, you are not paying any extra nor premium for a service and you are getting something in return that you wouldn't have had otherway. IF it had been something in the order "pay $15 per month to get a Chromecast" then it wouldn't have been free, in this case it is.

The title IS misleading but not because on getting a free chromecast but not explaining more like... "If you haven't been a premium Spotify user you can get a Free Chromecast".

this smells bad for Spotify because it may bring more discomfort than anything else.

This won't be bad for Spotify. Companies do this ALL the time. People complain and nothing ever comes of it. Like I said, these companies don't care. OP will contact them, they'll say "sorry, but no" and he'll cancel his account...and 5 other people will sign up for Spotify. They don't care. I'm not saying I agree when companies do this, because I don't, but I just know that complaining does nothing. They all do this and they've done it for years with no repercussions despite current members complaining both in forums and in emails to the companies. Sure, they lose a handful of members but they gain more than they lose, so they really don't care.

I got my Chromecast for $3.50 AUD.

My local Vinnie's (St. Vincent DePaul) op-shop had it on a shelf with other knick-knacks, priced at $5.00. I asked if I could return it (I had no way to test it). The woman said, "not really- but I'll let you have it for $3.50, in case it's not working"). I figured I'd just made a donation- lol.

Got home- BAM! Works a treat. :) I use it in my bedroom to watch Youtube at night (casting from a small tablet). Beauty.

Back