Here's what you'll need to run 'Gears of War 4' in 4K

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Coalition revealed last month that Gears of War 4 for the PC will include a wealth of features not found on the Xbox One version. Along with not being locked at 30 frames per second, PC gamers will have the luxury of being able to crank the graphics settings all the way to 11 which today means 4K resolution.

Of course, having the ability to do so and having the hardware to make it playable are two very different things.

The Coalition’s director of community, Adam Fletcher, recently detailed what sort of hardware you’ll need for the best possible Gears of War 4 experience on the PC. On the AMD side, you’ll need an FX-9590 CPU, a Radeon R9 Fury X GPU with 4GB of VRAM, 16GB of system memory and 80GB of solid state storage.

Nvidia users will need at least a Core i7-4790 CPU @ 4GHz, a GeForce 980Ti or GTX 1080 with 6GB of VRAM, 16GB of regular RAM and the same 80GB of free SSD space.

Note that you can get by with lesser hardware – a Radeon R7 260X or GeForce 750 Ti at minimum and a Radeon R9 290X / Radeon RX 480 or GeForce 970 / GTX 1060 as recommended – but if you want the best visual experience, the above mentioned hardware will be required.

In celebration of Gamescom 2016, Microsoft and The Coalition have published a 10-minute gameplay trailer that walks viewers through the “Rescue” chapter which is embedded above.

Gears of War 4 is set to arrive on October 11 exclusively for Windows PCs and the Xbox One.

Permalink to story.

"Here's what you'll need to run 'Gears of War 4' in 4K"

Besides the system, the simple guts to trust Microshaft and their WOUNDERFUL store!...

Looks pretty bad....I'm assuming because thats the Xbone version, also I won't buy it if it's sold from the store. GFWL - Never Forget!

I just ordered the pre-load version off of Amazon, XBOX and PC. I can download the PC version in september when the original game is out!. GW4...Game Ooonnnnnn!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also no microsoft drm as they will stop supporting it and make games unplayble (GFWL never forget!).

Not supporting it? As far as I know Games for Windows Live is still running. Microsoft may have shut it down to new developers, but they seem to be supporting the games that use it.

I thought GfWL was a good system personally. It was properly integrated into the games with no client install and if you didn't want it then it was completely invisible. None of the nasty UPlay and Steam-style advertising or pop-ups.

I know it had some capacity and availability issues on some high profile launches which put many people off but those sort of things would have been solved in time.

For a 4K content, the monsters teeth don't look super detailed on close up. Looking more like half-done pile of goo gray base models...

Also no microsoft drm as they will stop supporting it and make games unplayble (GFWL never forget!).

Not supporting it? As far as I know Games for Windows Live is still running. Microsoft may have shut it down to new developers, but they seem to be supporting the games that use it.

I thought GfWL was a good system personally. It was properly integrated into the games with no client install and if you didn't want it then it was completely invisible. None of the nasty UPlay and Steam-style advertising or pop-ups.

I know it had some capacity and availability issues on some high profile launches which put many people off but those sort of things would have been solved in time.

I think you have things backwards. Steam doesn't have any ad pop-ups in game and only has their initial rotating ad pop-up when you start Steam. You don't even need to have Steam in memory or even have Internet to play Steam games you've already installed..unlike GFWL games.

I think you have things backwards. Steam doesn't have any ad pop-ups in game and only has their initial rotating ad pop-up when you start Steam. You don't even need to have Steam in memory or even have Internet to play Steam games you've already installed..unlike GFWL games.

I haven't used steam for a few years but it always used to pop-up trading cards and other 'freebies' that were just adverts to get more involved (and spend money with) the steam client. As steam was only one of several third party services chosen by the developer or publisher and wasn't the store I'd bought from or anything I'd expressed interest in I felt that sort of behaviour was rather inappropriate. None of the other third party add-ons developers use such as Bink, Speedtree, Havok etc. have every tried such a thing in my experience.

I'm not sure what you mean by steam not needing to be in memory, a program can't run unless it's loaded into memory. I'm pretty sure GfWL did offer the option of an offline account.

I'm not sure what you mean by steam not needing to be in memory, a program can't run unless it's loaded into memory. I'm pretty sure GfWL did offer the option of an offline account.
Meaning once you have a game running on Steam, you don't necessarily have to have Steam loaded to start and play the game. Not all games require Steam to be loaded to run.

Back