Heur / Vundo

Status
Not open for further replies.

davelaptop

Hi there! Don't know if this is the right place, but i'll give it a go and hope you can help!

AVG popped up with "Heur" virus and "Vundo" has been seen a few times as well. There were popups and all sorts of weird error messages. However, they seem to have stopped since going through the 8 steps (thanks!). However, when checking the old versions of Java have been removed, clicking on Control Panel brings up "Explorer.exe - Application not found" and I have to go through a different menu. Is this still because of the viruses or something else thats easily fixed?

Also, I've included the logs, is there still a threat with my computer?

Any help will be most appreciated!

Cheers and keep up the good work,

Dave

This coud be caused by virus damage... See if you can restore Windows to an earlier time. Also see if you can install Vista Service Pack 2 and any other missing Windows Updates after a sucessful restore

Restoring windows to an earlier time - won't let me go back further than when the problem happened.

Installing Service Pack 2 - won't let me update Windows through the normal way and for some reason won't let me on any Microsoft website to download it. Is there anywhere else I can get it from?

Unfortuantly, all the ones I have tried through google eventually link back to the Microsoft website. I see that SP1 is available on download.com but no SP2. Any guidance?

Thanks,

Dave

i'd say dude just reinstall your OS and try something like Kaspersky Internet Security

The virus indications are stopping now so most problems have gone away. But there is still an error when trying to run videos:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18164
Application Timestamp: d05ebc67
Fault Module Name: mcmpgdec.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.0.4178.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4496feaf
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00013d40
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

I don't know if this is easily fixed but i've tried searching all over google for it and haven't got anywhere. I believe the file causing the error is linked to Corel Video Design but can't be sure. I've uninstalled it and still a problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

I've tried one technique of going through the command window and typing "regsvr32 mcmpgdec.dll". This brings up the following response:

The module "mcmpgdec.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found.

Does this help with diagnosis?

Cheers,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back