TechSpot

Hey

By TophCPU
Jan 30, 2010
  1. hello everyone

2. TophCPU

TophCPU TS Rookie Topic Starter

I bought a computer(which is kind of old) from someone and it keeps crashing and has been for a while but has started to more frequently. at first the crashes would only happen when i was playing games like Counter Strike but now it will crash randomly while doing pretty basic tasks. i recently downloaded the drivers for my graphics card because the guy i bought it from didn't seem to have any downloaded. i'm not very good with computers so it would be great if anyone could tell me what these crashes can be caused by.

3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

Are you getting any BSOD? if so can you please provide with the error code?

Can you give bit more details which your computer may be logging already for you. Go to Control Panel, Admin Tools, Event Viewer, and check system / applications and other logs and see whether they are recording/logging details of these crashes.

4. TophCPU

it's not telling giving me any error code when it crashes, the screen just goes off and the computer looks like its on but it goes silent.

i looked at the event viewer and it says a lot of warnings and a few errors but i am not able to tell which one is the computer crashing.

5. Archean

Just make a list of them with the given error code/event ID and post that list here.

6. TophCPU

These ones seemed to appear the most on the list

Error. source: service control manager. Event: 7000
    description: The Zune Bus Enumerator Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Warning. source: Dhcp. Event: 1007
    description: Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0016EC312CED. The IP address being used is 169.254.169.22.

Error. source: server. Event: 2505
    description: The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetbiosSmb because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

Warning. source: server. event: 2504
    description: The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C9D4D6B1-C29D-49E2-95BD-8E06CA45C8A6}.

7. Archean

1. Event ID 7000: Probably your Zune driver has gone corrupt/damaged. I suggest you may uninstall it from your computer and restart it; then download the latest driver from Microsoft's site and reinstall.

2. Event ID 1007: I think it's related to your zune device as well. When no DHCP server can be contacted it can also use the "Alternate Configuration". This is a user configured address instead of the automatic generated IP-address in the 169.254.0.0 range. The same event is generated.

3. Event ID 2505: It relates to 'duplicate names on an network', i.e. your computer's name is same as some other computer on the network. However, according to Microsoft this error may be encountered if you upgrade your windows version from previous. As you said its an old machine I am assuming you are either running Windows 200 / or XP (most likely) .... did you upgrade your computer's OS at any time

4. Event ID 2504: Usually it is caused when the computer has two network adapters and both network adapters attempt to register the same NetBIOS name with the Microsoft Windows Internet Naming Service (WINS). Or There is a problem with a hardware component of the network, for example, a switch or router.

I've listed the best possible explanations for these event's I could find with Microsoft.

However, I think all these are probably caused by the zune drivers; as I suggested above removing them completely; and installing them over again may solve the issue. Please let me know if that solve anything. Regards

8. TophCPU

thanks, i didn't know my brother added that zune stuff to my computer. i think i solved the crashing problem though. I'm pretty sure it was just an overheating issue. i cleaned the dust off of my fans and had a floor fan pointed at it as i was playing counter strike and it did not crash or have any problem at all.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.