HGST demonstrates insanely fast SSD built using phase-change memory

By Shawn Knight
Aug 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (HGST) has chosen the Flash Memory Summit and Exhibition in Santa Clara, California, to demonstrate a new type of solid state drive that replaces traditional flash memory with an emerging technology called phase-change memory.

Read more
  2. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TS Maniac Posts: 475   +153

Congratulations to that team of R+D, no problem if that is not available yet for consumers, we're still trying to move forward S-ATA3; probably when that SSD technology is available, SATA Express will be sort of mainstream.
  3. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 467   +97

Its not like we are suffering from a lack of innovation in SSD technology, but like battery technology which actually does have an innovation shortage, I kinda don't care all that much until you prove that it actually will come to market. Which there is only one way to prove it will come to the market, you have to wait.
  4. Thanks, from R&D team! Z.
  5. ypsylon

ypsylon TS Enthusiast Posts: 69   +9

About time. I said many times that SSD in current form are road to nowhere. NAND will hit the wall very soon as it reaches boundaries of it usefulness. I expected PCM to be fast, but it's even better than I thought.