Hi - a noob that needs help - sorry for wrong section

Hi - I am setting my mother up on here because she otherwise wouldnt know what a forum is.
she is taking a class and needs help with some exam questions. If ya'll could help it would be greatly appreciated. mods - if you could not move the thread that would be great because if I am not here, she will never find it.

here are her questions (thanks fo all help)

1. Can someone explain the significance of wild characters in searching for files and folders.

2. What is a web based application? Would Mapquest, Travelodge and Turbo tax be examples?

3. Explain the parts of a URL. I have to include an example that has subfolders and file).

THANKS!!!

1. idk
2. something that can run straight out fo your internet browser, those are examples because you can run them (except turbotax i think). OR maybe it means do you need the internet to run the programs which is true and those would be examples. I'm not entirely sure on this at all. I just answered because it seems like no one else is helping.
3. www= world wide web
com=communications?
org=organization
net=network
http=i forget

i think you can find thos eeasy, if i understood the questions correctly

don't take my word for it i really don't think i'm right at all, hopefully someone will correct me.

These are pretty basic questions that I'm sure were covered in her class, did she not take notes or pay attention or read any handouts?

1. using * will allow you to search for everything, its useful for if you know you have a .ppt (or whatever) file but don't know where it is or the file name. You could just search for *.ppt and it will come up.

2. I'm not sure about Mapquest, again what is considered a Web Based App was probably defined in the course, pay attention next time. If I had to give 2 examples that I knew were web based applications I'd pick Google Docs & Spreadsheets and Google Calender.

3. http://www.fakewebsite.com/directory/subdirectory/file.txt

hypertext transfer protocol
world wide web
site name
commercial
folder
subfolder
file and extension

Back