TechSpot

Hi all!

By Arcanum
Dec 16, 2005
  1. umm... hi!

Well, I have been visiting Techspot for years, yet never really registered.
    Been here since the start of the good old 3D Spotlight (the good old days) and I have watched this site grow and evolve.

Finally, this latest 7800GT contest convinced me to finally join the community (my old Riva TNT 2 Ultra has to be replaced!)...

So, I'm typing this on an Athlon T-Bird 1.2GHz (anyone remember them?), 256MB and a TNT2 Ultra (mmm, no T&L)... I've been saving for years to get a decent rig, it's going to be an A64 based, just need the money for the videocard...
    If I win this I'm getting the rig asap, and throwing this POS out (from the second floor), or I'm stuck with this until summer if I dont win :( sigh

But enough whining, just wanted to say, that over years Techspot has become a site I visit on an almost regular basis, and I like it!

Anyway, I hope I'll be a productive and contributing member :)

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Hi and welcome.

The good old 3DSpotlight days had contests too, you should have registered back then :p

3. Arcanum

Arcanum TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 181

Yeah, but I never really took interest in contests up until now.

This time I would really need the prize and I would actually use it,
    unlike in the past.

I never enter a contest when the prize isnt that much better than
    what I currently have, or I cant use it or wouldnt get much benefit out of it.
    I try to be fair to other people that would really need the prize.

But I see that not many people act like that, even people with X800 or
    6800 cards entering the contest - the 7800GT is better than those cards,
    but give us poor people with intergrated cards or just plain OLD cards (me with this crappy TNT2 Ultra) a chance....

Well even if I dont win, I'm happy that I finally joined this community, my first impressions are pretty good so far :)

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello Arcanum and welcome to Techspot.

Good luck with the contest. I haven`t entered myself, as I don`t play games, so I guess a graphics card that good would be wasted on me lol.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

5. Arcanum

Arcanum TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 181

Hey howard,
    thanks for the welcome and support!

Been reading some of your posts in the Windows subforum, and I must say your 'debugging' of the problems is pretty straightforward and helpful, the first thing people should always do is post their minidumps and their computer specs as it makes troubleshooting so much easier and faster...

I always wondered why people on other sites dont do that... Just saying 'OMG I g0t some eXc3pt10n s4ying blab blah blah, I dont remember what it sez, HELP PLIZZZZZ !!!!1!111!1!!!1111!ONENENENE1' doesnt mean someone will automagically know whats your problem...
    People should always post:
    1. When the problems occurs (at random, or when running something)
    2. System specs
    3. Minidumps/logs if they can

This alone takes only 2-3mins longer, and helps solving the problem.

Well, just wanted to say that :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.