Hi from a new person

By Cling
Jun 19, 2006
  1. Just a quick note to say hi, I am just doing a couple of scans as per the forum HJT guidlines and I thought I would introduce myself before just saying can you help me. I am part of a band called Cling and we are based in the UK. Anyway I will go back to the scanning and will post on here after I have carried out the recomended scans.

Best wishes Gerald
  2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

Hello cling.Welcome to Techspot :)

Howard hopkinso will look forward to seeing your HJT in the Security and The Web forum.
  3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Hi, pleased to meet you.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello Cling and welcome to Techspot.

We`ll sure try to help you one way or another.

I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  5. Cling

Cling TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you

Hi Thanks for the warm welcome, I have just completed Norton Scan and Kaspersky and no virus showing up yet, my problem is the DrWatson Postmertem DeBugger has encountered a problem and needs to close, then the computer freezes. This happens after certain right click actions mainly deleting files.

I will do the other recomended scans etc and then post whatever info is required to try and sort out the problem.

Thanks again for the welcome, much appreciated

Gerald (CLING)
  6. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

That is not normally a spyware problem(although it could be),it`s usually a faulty Explorer shell extension put in the right click menu problem.Known culprits include Photoshop,Divvx and Spysweeper.

From -

1.Go to Regedit

2.Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!

3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.

4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in (Windows Explorer) whether right click works again. This way you should find the defective extension.

5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

You may have to repeat this with the keys

If the error happens with directories or with virtual folders.

One other idea -

"I went into Task Handler, processes, and then right clicked the process appeared " verclsid.exe".
    I did a Google search and found that this was part of a recent Windows update.
    The suggestion was to do a search on the C: for that file and to rename it "verclsid.bak".
    I did what was suggested and everything is working fine.
    Apparently the "verclsid.exe" was part of a recent XP Home update."

How to disable the irritating and useless Dr Watson HERE
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.