Hi Guys, Need help OverClocking my new puter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All !

I am a NEWBIE,
I am trying to build this Machine, and any help will be appreciated!

Motherboard: ECS- P4M800PRO-M V1,0A
CPU: D 920 Presler, LGA 775.
Chipset: VIA P4M800CE
Southbridge: VIA VT8237
Sensor: ITE: IT8705
I think the Clock chip is: RTM 363-882
Got 2 GB of DDR2 @533MHZ
650 W Power supply (SLI)
2X500 GB Hard Drives
ATI Radon X 1300 VIPER @ 512 MB
and intending to install THERMALTAKE BigWater SE cooling system,
Now its running on a Factory fan (air)
I upped the FSB to 209MHZ and it runs @2926 MHZ
I upped the Voltage on the CPU, RAM & AGP,
But I am a Novice,
And in stuck here.....What do I do next?

Thanks in advance!
Dawgie

richie7000 said:
goto the bios/up the cpu from there

Thanks...

Thats what i did, and thats how i got from 200 MHZ (2,800 MHZ)
to 209 MHZ ( 2,926 Mhz) speed , but i cant go any faster....
I am Stuck.....

can't you up the fsb more? ... that seems like very little to me... i managed to get mine from 133-165-160 lol

200-209 is not too much really..

upping your fsb (if you did not already know) increases the cpu, RAM and GFX card clock's... so basically to a point... (whether malfunctioning of parts or overheating of computer).. increasing your fsb is the major factor in overclocking

otherwise.. if you can't... then im no help from here haha (sorry man..)

hi dawgie and welcome to techspot :)

first things first, you should put your voltage back down to it's default. increasing the voltage too much is how you fry a processor. you should obtain the maximum possible overclock on default voltage, then if necessary, slightly increase the voltage to try and stabilize it. but you haven't overclocked it anywhere near high enough to require a voltage increase.

how high you can overclock depends on the settings that are available to you in your MOBO/BIOS. most likely the reason that you cannot go past 209MHz FSB is because you have also overclocked the PCI bus.

if your BIOS has a PCI BUS lock (or sync/async setting) than you need to enable the lock (or set to async). but if your BIOS does not have a PCI lock (or a sync/async setting) then I'm sorry to inform you that 209MHz FSB is the highest that you'll ever be able to get it.

read your mobo manual (or download it from your mobo manufacturer's website if you don't have it) to find out if your mobo has a PCI BUS lock and if so how to enable it.

cheers :wave:

Thanks...

I dont think this motherboard has a PCI BUS lock (or sync/async setting).

The only thig similar was a PCI IDE BusMaster ( and it on ENABLE).

BUT........
Hidden in the Cmos advance page i found this MF:
Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) Tech.
it was DISABLED (default CPU speed), it has MAXIMUM, MINIMUM, AUTOMATIC (CPU speed controled by OS)
I changed it to AUTO, and i am slowlly going up 1 MHZ @ a time, but i noticed flactuation ion the speed , after i defaulted all the Voltage to NORMAL
I think i Should up it a notch ( Vcore) , Am i right?

Ps> i have an LCD display of the CPU temp and in reads around 30 C.
2 more Q's:

1. The shut down temp? disable? put on how much?

2. DRAM Frequency, AUTO? 533? 666?

Hidden in the Cmos advance page i found this MF:
Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) Tech.
it was DISABLED (default CPU speed), it has MAXIMUM, MINIMUM, AUTOMATIC (CPU speed controled by OS)
I changed it to AUTO, and i am slowlly going up 1 MHZ @ a time, but i noticed flactuation ion the speed , after i defaulted all the Voltage to NORMAL
speedstep is designed for notebooks (which is probably why it was disabled by default). it is not an overclocking feature, in fact it's an underclocking feature that reduces the CPU speed to conserve energy. you notice a fluctuation in the speed because you have speedstep set to auto. you should set it back to "disabled" if you want to overclock.

I think i Should up it a notch ( Vcore) , Am i right?
NO. as I said before, you have no reason to increase your CPU voltage (VCORE).

The shut down temp? disable? put on how much?
I have mine set at 65c. (with a warning buzzer at 55c) I would never disable it because your CPU could overheat.

DRAM Frequency, AUTO? 533? 666?
that is a RAM divider setting. if you have cheap RAM sticks then you may need to use a lower setting than 533 to keep the RAM operating at or below 533FSB when you have the FSB raised above stock.

I dont think this motherboard has a PCI BUS lock (or sync/async setting).
if it doesn't, then you can pretty much forget about overclocking with that motherboard. :(

So what if I do not use a IDE HDD but a SATA HDD, will this let me OC higher even without the PCI lock? (I do not have any PCI cards plug in) Thanks.

awdrifter said:
So what if I do not use a IDE HDD but a SATA HDD, will this let me OC higher even without the PCI lock? (I do not have any PCI cards plug in) Thanks.
Hi awdrifter,

1. you do indeed use an IDE HDD. both PATA drives and SATA drives are IDE drives

2. whether you use a PATA HDD or a SATA HDD, they run off the same bus and will have the same issues if the bus is not locked. it may result in data corruption or damage to the HDD. also, even if you have no PCI/AGP/PCI-E cards plugged in, the integrated video and sound are also run off the PCI/AGP/PCI-E bus.

whether it's locked or not will depend on your motherboard, if you don't know whether has a lock (or manual speed setting), then do some google-ing and read up on it before you do anything.

BTW, welcome to TechSpot :)

cheers :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back