hi, Im in deep doo doo. Any devine beings able to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same problem as the first guy. I made a partition and dumped all my files in. I then created another partition so I could install another OS not using the option "partition for another OS". I then clicked on install another OS from partition magic. I realize that I needed to remove one of the partitions I created moments earlier. I have a 150 gig hard drive which was partitioned to 50/50/50 within 10-30mins. I dumped 20 gigs of data in 2nd partition and merged 2nd and 3rd so I could partition again from that 100gig to create another OS partition. I then realized that I couldnt access the files so in a scrabble to restore with the "restore" function from windows. This made it worst that I lost the partition magic 8 from my computer. I then did a few more restores but nothing. I gave up and merged the final 1/3 back to my 150gig hd. I then went to format my computer but I couldnt since my computer wouldnt recognize C: in dos prompt. I then went into fdisk and deleted the partition and formated again. I then found out I had 127gigs. I deleted the partition again with fdisk again, but I gave up and installed xp. It then hit me to read the manual of partition magic. I could have fixed it by undoing function from partition magic. Well that opportunity was gone since I formated, delete partition with Fdisk , reformated, deleted partiton, reformated again, and one more time to install winxp pro. I then went online to see if I can find some help and I came to this site. By god can anyone fix this. Sures a challenge. Please someone help me.

Can this weirdiest problem be fixed? I must have been the first with this kind of problem.

what is the problem ,again ya lost me
are you trying to get data back or just access the drive???

Boot from your Windows CD, then partition, format and install, using the options given during install.
Set your BIOS to boot from CD first.

if you tried to create a partition with another partition already on the drive and then merged paritions later on, you have over written your directory files. More than likely your files are lost.

NEVER F with a hard disk with important stuff on it. MOVE your files to a second hard disk when changing directory structures.

Well, the amount of formatting and destroying partitions you did is pretty amazing, I dont know if anything will get even some of the data from that disk back :(

There are firms that specialize in data recovery, however, they can be pretty pricey.

Another option is getting data recovery software and trying to recover anything you can...
Here are two programs that can recover data from F'upped partitions, be it NTFS or FAT32:
http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

They aren't for free, but no data recovery solution is...
You can download the free trials though, and try if they can do anything.

I wish you luck, you're going to need it :(

standard formatting does not distroy data
it just hides it
that is why he can't see it in the first place the fat and mft 's are foobar'ed
not to say there wasn't data loss,I'm sure there was

the point is he kept reformatting and changing partitions. Most of his data may be overwritten. There are data recovery programs but it probably more of hassle than it's worth.

@Samstoned
Yes, I'm very well aware of that. But if you just read what he did, there is no way he hasn't produced at least some data loss. I didn't say he lost all of the data, but I'm sure he lost a part of it, whether it's 20% or 80%, something in between, etc. I cannot say.
I was just saying the amount of changes he did and installing windows on top of that had to destroy atleast some data.

I hope he manages to recover atleast most of the important files...

So how do I reclaim my lost partition?

I use to have 150 gigs but down to 127gigs now. My windows Xp doesnt recognize the missing space, yet when during installation of OS, Windows does recognize a unpartitioned space of 23gigs. How do I merge the 23gigs back with my 127gigs?

As a note: I installed partition magic and divided my hd to 3 parts of 50gigs each. I moved data to partition 2 but I merged with partition 3 in the attempt to consolidate space so I can partition another space from it so I can install a new OS onto my computer. I merged partition 2 and 3 and I couldnt find my previous data placed into partition 2. I attempted to restore my hd but nothing worked so I gave up. I then attempt to format but my computer wouldnt recognize C: so I went in to delete the partition and then formated my computer. As a result of my action I ended up with only 127 gigs. I hope to reclaim my 23gigs now with or without the data. Is there anyway? please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back