TechSpot

Hi speed Intenet w/cellphone

By gilloz
Apr 8, 2007
  1. Before I start a search of the above subject matter I thought I'd first ask if this is possible. My Son in Law lives in the boonies and is not close enough to any facilities to get DSL. My question: is it possible, with proper equipment, to get on DSL or high speed Internet by using a cell phone connection? Not satellite but by cell phone. If this is a dumb question, then I apologize, but somehow it seems possible I just don't know or ever heard of it. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

I am afraid this is not possible

3. robin_bga

robin_bga TS Rookie Posts: 258

Hey TMAGIC650 its possible,am from Uganda and i use the same thing,u have 56kbps and if u are using 3G u can have upto 128kbps.all u need is a very nice phone with bluetooth and a bluetooth device for your computer,or u can use infrared.u create a new connection that works with your bluetooth setup.infrared is very simple to set.the number is a GPRS number,its *99***1# depend on the phone.i recommend a sonyericsson or nokia or lg.they r fast.R

4. Tmagic650

Thanks for the info robin_bga...
    I hope gilloz finds this useful

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Yes, with GPRS or EDGE you can get semi-decent speeds. Mind you, your network provider has to have this service and it will cost you a fortune to use it.

6. Tmagic650

I thought there would be a downside to using this technology... I wonder if Satellite Internet would be cheaper

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

I believe Verizon has Satellite access, but coverage is very spotty --
    primarily large metro areas.

8. gilloz

gilloz TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 95

Thank you all for your comments. I will pass this information on to my Son in Law and see how he wants to pursue this. I appreciate your time to post a reply.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.