TechSpot

Hi, total newb here...

By Chris 96 WS6
Apr 7, 2006
  1. I'm a 31 yr old husband and new father studying for my A+ certification. Finally got around to deciding I like PCs enough to work in the industry.

I'm actually a gearhead at heart and run a couple of car forums as well as wrenching/working on my own stuff. I find working on PCs very similar to working on cars, just less messy and fewer tools seem to be required.

2. OpTiMuSpRiMe

OpTiMuSpRiMe TS Rookie Posts: 156

Welcome to Techspot.com Chris 96 ws6.... Yes the computer market is definatley where you want to be.. I myself have been in the IT field for a number of years now and not even dared to look back.. i used to make diesel brakes for a living gamed on the side then one day started working for Dell Gold Tech support and have been in it ever since...good luck on the A+ man.. i have just took my MCSE and passed the first try so i know you will do well on yours..cheers

3. mstech316

mstech316 TS Rookie

hello optimusprime
    I am new to this forum and am in need of assistance i have a dell inspiron 8100 that some one who was supposed to be my friend locked up with the administrator/ primary password in the infamous gray dell security screen. would you be able to provide an unlock code for it. the guy palyed a april's fool joke on me amd locked the laptop to the pooint i cant boot from cd, floppy anything and he even forgot what the password was so he says... any help would be appreciated. i need to file my taxes and the info is in my laptop.

my info is as follows:

SERVICE TAG: #HR1V311-595B
    EXPRESS SERVICE CODE: 38641016341

you can send me private message if you wish

thanx in advance for any assistance

4. OpTiMuSpRiMe

mstech i am more than willing to help you out on this but this is not your thread friend..PLease post you thread in the right place or IM me, but don't jack this post for help..thanks

5. Chris 96 WS6

Chris 96 WS6 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

I actually draft/negotiate drug research contracts for a large private university right now. It pays about what they pay a LAN manager here...decent money, but not much fun. But I'm looking forward to somebody actually paying me to dink around with their computer rather than just doing favors :haha:

6. OpTiMuSpRiMe

that is about how i got into the business myself.. I saw my friends getting into the big bucks by working for some of the large retail chaines and i said to myself why not...i am currently the IT Admin for a corporate company here in Idaho.. I run 5 servers and 900 client end systems and right now it is just me doing that.. linux rules man.. do you game at all like rpgs or first person shooters ( halo, doom, unreal tournament,counter strike source??? if you don't i would very much recommend it man.. very fun. what kind of drug contracts do you do??

7. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

Hi welcome to TS

Dell Techys don't know **** and keep you on hold, not that you would ever do such a thing.

That's why you build you're own.

8. Chris 96 WS6

Chris 96 WS6 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

We have a teaching hospital/research medical center, so companies like Pfizer contract with us to have our doctors do clinical studies for experimental drugs.

Acutally I like simulation/strategy games. Not much time for it these days with a 7 month old at home but Simcity and Civilization series are my favorites.

The new CivIV has actually caused me to upgrade my PC. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 (80g hdd, 2.2ghz P4) I bought 2 yrs ago when I didn't know what an AGP card was and therefore didn't know or care the 2400 doesn't have an AGP slot.

So I've already added a 2nd hard drive and have a 512mb memory stick and 256mb Nvidia fx5500 PCI card on order along with a new power supply just in case more upgrades are in store for later :D

At my last job, which I did for 6 years, I was the default computer guy since everybody else was clueless. It was a very small consulting office but I got to handle hardware, software and our LAN, so I'm very familiar with a lot of basics, but just recently decided to get serious and learn more of the technical information and get some certifications.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.