By Chaney
Feb 15, 2010
  1. Happy to be here, from some of the posts I've read it looks like I'm in the right place. I'm planning to upgrade an HP Pavilion 513x for our daughter to use. She won't be gaming, just music and internet mostly.

Any suggestions I can receive will be welcome!
  2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

Hello Chaney; welcome @ TS.

I am not sure you can upgrade this machine much now; its pretty old.

Please start a thread in the appropriate section i.e. Hardware & Tweaking, also it would be appropriate if you let us know what is your budget for this upgrade project. Regards
  3. Slux773

Slux773 TS Rookie Posts: 32

Hey Chaney, and welcome :) I'm new here as well!

Unfortunately, I really doubt there is much you can do to upgrade such an old machine. Because the motherboard, I'm sure, has out of date slots. Most likely the only thing you might be able to upgrade is the memory (RAM). It is most likely 240-pin which has been the most common RAM slot for many years. That will do *some* good, but not much. A computer's speed is based on it's processor and it's memory (not to be confused with storage) and it's pretty much only as fast as the slowest of the two. Think of a computer as a sheep's pen: the hard drive is the size of the pin, meaning how many sheep it's capable of storing. The processor is how quickly the sheep are capable of leaving the pin. And the memory is how large the gate is determining how many sheep can leave at once. So basically replacing your RAM will be making the gate much larger, but those sheep can still only run so fast. Hope this helped, Steve.
  4. Janus

Janus TS Rookie

That's an awesome analogy Slux7773. I never thought of putting it that way but it will make explaining it to my computer illiterate folks much easier since they never remember.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.