By thinking
May 30, 2007
  1. Hi. I'm new, but I have read posts on this forum over the years.

The experts on this forum seem so selfless in the time they give to sort out problems, that I am almost loath to take advantage of it. But unfortunately, I'm one of those people who knows just enough about computers to be dangerous, and I know I will have to post about my problems soon.

My fondest regards to all, and keep up the good work.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

3. momok

momok TS Rookie Posts: 2,265

Hi thinking,

Thank you for your kind comments. They are well appreciated by the people who contribute to this forum, and serve to remind us that our work is meaningful.

I hope you enjoy a your stay here with us.

momok =)
  4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

Pleased to meet you.
  5. ArcticBirdman

ArcticBirdman TS Rookie

New posting

Checking back on my old email, looks like I had signed up several years ago using a different email. Been an active computer user for over 20 years and on the internet since the days of iNet2000. I still have a working Amiga 2000, plus several other computers, all home built, and in various stages of upgrading. I seem to be spending a lot of my spare time fixing other people's computers, which tends to leave me little time to enjoy my own. My handle is from my having an Ultra-light aircraft, which I built back in 1980. At that time, it was one of the first up here in the Canadian North. I still have it, but it is presently dismantled awaiting spare time in which to put back into flying condition. It is probably one of the slowest ways of getting around as the birds actually fly faster then me. Top speed is around 30 mph, but it only needs 50 ft to take off or land and I modified tires off of a Honda quad for use as tundra tires. Total weight without pilot is just under 200 lb. Once I get the free time, I hope to build an Avatar from a picture taken of me flying this Ultra-light. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
  6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello ArcticBirdman and welcome to Techspot.

I`m pleased to meet you and hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Once your aircraft is back together again, it`d be great to see some pics of it.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  7. ArcticBirdman

ArcticBirdman TS Rookie

I was checking back on my email when I first logged on to TechSpot, and it looks like I was on in May of 2002. I don't remember my handle back then, but my email was That was back in the days of dialup, but I got on to DirecPC as soon as it came out. That was were we used Dial-up to get out, but used the satellite for downloads. Now, we have the so-called broadband 2-way satellite, giving us northerners something close to what is available down south. Using Ka with frequencies around 20 Ghz, the best speeds are 2.0 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up. If fact, that has been one of my sidelines up here. I have now installed over 60 2-way satellite systems up here, both for private and corporate users. Times have surely changed. Unfortunately, we all have the same problems with viruses, spam, spyware, etc, which tends to ruin what the internet was set up for, mainly, the free exchange of ideas and friendly chatter. Still, after 60 years, I have seen many new things, and with other 40 years up in the Canadian North, I have seen climate change in that short time. I came north because I liked cooler temps, but now, temps are getting warmer ever year. If this keeps up, the only cool place will be in a freezer. Still, it has some benefits, such as cheaper fuel costs-relative-from the warmer winters. We have some subsidized utilities, but even with that, it can cost almost $1000 CDN each month for heat, power, water, sewage, and garbage, for a small 1100 sq ft bungalow. At least I don't have to worry about earth quakes, hurricanes, but if weather patterns continue, there is a slight possibility of tornadoes. Those that opted for shore front property, may wish they had built on higher ground, as many could be swamped in about 50 years or so. We do live in interesting though troubled times.
  8. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Hi thinking and ArcticBirdman, welcome to TechSpot! :wave:

Please be sure to read the guide in my signature and to search the Web and the TS forums before posting any questions. It would also help if you would fill out your computer's specs in your user profile.

Enjoy your stay at TS!

Regards :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.