Hibernate vs. Shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiJackThis1.99

(XP)
1)Should I Shut Down or can I always Hibernate?

2)How can I make a file undeletable? Meaning whenever someone tries to delete it the system says "Access Denied"

3)Whenever I want to run Firefox my computer says, "Firefox already running..." but that is not true! I checked all the running processes and DLL's firefox cannot be found. What is going on? And yes I tried in Safe Mode.

Peddant`s answers -

1.Hibernate normally,but restart occasionally to allow XP to tidy itself up.

2.I know you can set a password for folders - right click/properties/sharing/make private.

3.Two possibilities for the FF issue -

"I had the same problem and edited my profile.ini file within the App Data\Mozilla\Firefox folder. Bottom line had Path=Profiles/xxxxx.User (where the x's represent some random values) and wasnt pointing to my correct profile. Changing the value (xxxxx.User) to my current profile allowed me to open firefox again.

OR

"You don't have to reinstall Firefox, just run the Profile Manager and delete the profile. That's all I had to do (and yes I got this problem one time)."

Peddant will hybernate "park" the hard drive heads so you can move the computer without damaging the hd?

russ said:
Peddant will hybernate "park" the hard drive heads so you can move the computer without damaging the hd?
Yes.

When Windows hibernates,it just saves the contents of the RAM to disk,and then effectively switches the computer off.

I personally don't care for hibernate, and always turn it off. My PC stays on all the time and only the monitor goes off. And my laptop I just suspend between uses.

Maybe this preference comes from having to fix to many PCs which screwed up during or after a hibernate, which makes getting back into a Windows a chore.

And for access denied. Well, from MS: "The Make this folder private option is available only for files in your user profile (the My Documents folder and its subfolders, and the Cookies, Desktop, Start Menu, or Favorites folders)."

Note also you can right-click a file and choose properties, then click Advanced, and select "Encrypt Contents to secure data".
This only protects the folder from OTHER users. If you are in your own user (same user who encrypted folder), it will be deleted without a hitch. But if another user account tries to go in YOUR encrypted folder, I think they'll have problems.

So basically, to protect your date IN YOUR PROFILE from other XP users, you would do this:
First go in control panel to Users, and make sure your user has a password.
Next, for make private to work, you have to have Simple File sharing ON. To change this, open My Computer, click Tools-Folder Options-View and make sure "Use simple file sharing" is checked. It's at the bottom.
If you don't use simple file sharing, you'll have to set these permissions manually.

Then go in My Computer - C: - Documents and Settings -> Right-click your user folder and choose Properties or Sharing and security. Then on the sharing tab, you can select to make folder private. This will hide EVERYTHING in your profile from any other user accounts. Sometimes this is not desirable though, it can be better to just create a single, private, folder for those files, and leave the rest open. But you can only make private folders in your profile, not outside.

So then, hope that wasn't to wordy. But if you just want to password protect a folder or two, and you have users which share your user account, I would find a 3rd party encryption program. Maybe somebody can recommend one cause I don't know any offhand that are good.

HiJackThis1.99 said:
(XP)2)How can I make a file undeletable? Meaning whenever someone tries to delete it the system says "Access Denied"

if you are running xp pro, then go to folder options->view. uncheck the option use simple file sharing.

open the properties of the file you want to disable access to, go to security tab, and deny access to all users. :cool:

Then you couldn't open it either :)

Set the permissions RIGHT (XP Pro), or use an encryption program.

SIRwILLETT said:
b/c i had problems with my comp not coming out of standby mode
Stand-by yes,but that`s not hibernate.

Most problems with hibernate, come when people add or detach
a piece of hardware after the computer has been hibernated.
In those cases,Windows gives you the option to "delete the restoration
data",then you just start normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back