TechSpot

Hiding A Drive

By sepehr
Dec 27, 2006
  1. hey guys,
    i've hidden a drive with popular tweak ,creating nodrives key and enter the specified number in.
    and the key is located in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer

now the problem is i can't get it back,i change the value of nodrives to zero but
    it doesn't bring the drive back,and i needs a restart to bring the drive back
    but i don't want it like that because i'm doing some programing using this key and i can't restart the computer when my program is running(i even made a force update to registry with delphi which usually avoids restarting when u want changes take effect)
    any ideas are appreciated

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Use a virtual machine like VMware for development work? :)

Depending on which part of Windows loads that registry key and when.. How about killing all explorer.exe processes and re-running explorer.exe?

3. sepehr

sepehr TS Rookie Topic Starter

i'm already using vmware for testing my programs
    i tried it yeah it works ;) but there must be more elegant way to do that
    you know i can't just kill explorer.exe because it closes all open folders and
    and exploring windows

4. sepehr

sepehr TS Rookie Topic Starter

how can i understand which part loads it? and what's the benefit? ?

5. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

How about removing the drive letter in Windows Disk Management? Does that require a restart?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.