Hiding Drive Mapping Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowman

Hiding Drive Mapping Paths

OK guys...here's one for you:

Any ideas on how to hide the actual path of a drive mapping from users? The environment is a Microsoft 2003 Server AD WAN, and 99% of the clients are running Windows XP.

I basically don't want them to be able to see and of the higher parts of the path in their drive mappings...preferably just the name of the top-level folder they are given acess to.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

I'm not sure about 2003 server, but if I map a drive on a Windows XP computer, all that is displayed is relative path of the folder... Not the full, local path.

Thanks for the reply Rick. I thing I have it figured out (the mappings themselvesf can be renamed)...but I have 300 or so users, many of whom are spread across the country - so I need to find a way to automate something like this. All their drive mappings are scripted, so if I can figure out something to throw in there, I'll be in business. It's not really even a major issue, our file security is as tight as it can be - we just have some users who , shall we say, know just enough to be dangerous...I'd like to keep server names and higher level folders out of their hands as much as possible...

Thnaks again for the reply...if anything comes to mind...drop me a line...

:D

Well, I know a way for hiding drive letters, but I don't know how to hide the paths. I guess this is just another of those "user-friendliness before security" things.

Hiding letters can be done by editing HKLM \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ ShowDriveLettersFirst

1 = show first only for network drives
2 = no drive letter
4 = always first.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to hide the paths, maybe there is similar key for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back