Hiding folder in drive share

Status
Not open for further replies.

giyad

I'm sharing a drive on my network using Vista, but would like to limit some folders in the drive. How do I go about doing that?

Sharing a drive seems to be a little different than sharing a folder. I clicked on the drive that I wanted to share and went into the "Sharing" tab, and then enabled the share. Now all I want to do is limit some folder from being on the network, how do I create a permission to deny access to those folders?

I'm sharing a drive on my network using Vista, but would like to limit some folders in the drive. How do I go about doing that?

Sharing a drive seems to be a little different than sharing a folder. I clicked on the drive that I wanted to share and went into the "Sharing" tab, and then enabled the share. Now all I want to do is limit some folder from being on the network, how do I create a permission to deny access to those folders?
Sharing a physical drive is a high risk choice; MS suggestions sharing only folders.
This automatically excludes all non-shared folders and enhances your security.

Sharing a physical drive is a high risk choice; MS suggestions sharing only folders.
This automatically excludes all non-shared folders and enhances your security.

Sorry, but why is it a high risk choice? I want to share all my folders in the drive except for 2. I shouldn't have to select every folder I want to share...

sharing a drive on my network using Vista
So this drive has Vista installed on it?
And you want to share all folders (ie Temporary Internet Folders, and cached installer folders and everything bar 2)

Or you're trying to share an external (or secondary) drive not running Vista?
If it's this one, I wonder if it would be best to just move the non-shared folders off it (just in case!)

Easiest bet is probably to set up another account to use for the share - then set file permissions to deny for that account. The most restrictive policy always wins. It won't hide it but it will prevent access.

So this drive has Vista installed on it?
And you want to share all folders (ie Temporary Internet Folders, and cached installer folders and everything bar 2)

Or you're trying to share an external (or secondary) drive not running Vista?
If it's this one, I wonder if it would be best to just move the non-shared folders off it (just in case!)

Haha, no its definitely not the drive with Vista installed on it. I have a second drive, not even a partition but a 1TB mirror for all my media. I want to share it but I also have a couple of folders that I don't want shared. Instead of having to share each folder individually, I would like to share the whole drive and then do as LNCPapa said and put a permission to deny.

Right now I have two users, an admin account and another one. I use the other one when accessing from other computers or from my home theater, but I don't want certain folders to show, so how do I set permission on specific folders without sharing again?

Sorry, but why is it a high risk choice? I want to share all my folders in the drive except for 2.
Sharing the HD is an option used for Domain Controlled (DC) environments
(eg companies with many computers) where they have the need to
maintain the client systems from a central location, ie: tthe DC.
You should therefore see that a shared HD allows modification to the entire system
and anyone with access can then modify even the \windows directory or the C:\ root
directory and make your system unusable.

You can defeat the modification issue if you allow READ ONLY access. If you allow
UPDATEs, you shoot yourself in the head :(

I shouldn't have to select every folder I want to share...
you could not possibly use this scheme anyway as any given system can only give access to 10 shares at the same time anyway.

It's all your choice and I'm only advising that you consider the consequences of your choices. :)

Sharing the HD is an option used for Domain Controlled (DC) environments
(eg companies with many computers) where they have the need to
maintain the client systems from a central location, ie: tthe DC.
You should therefore see that a shared HD allows modification to the entire system
and anyone with access can then modify even the \windows directory or the C:\ root
directory and make your system unusable.

But the OS is not installed on the same drive that im sharing...

You can defeat the modification issue if you allow READ ONLY access. If you allow
UPDATEs, you shoot yourself in the head :(

you could not possibly use this scheme anyway as any given system can only give access to 10 shares at the same time anyway.

It's all your choice and I'm only advising that you consider the consequences of your choices. :)

Anyway, I figured it out. I just went into the security tab of the folders I wanted to hide and put a deny permission for the shared user. This way the folder shows but is inaccessible

I think that's exactly what I suggested. I could be misreading though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back