High CPU Temperatures all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Culepatua

Hi...I've had a heat problem for as long as I can remember. I have an Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47GHz and the damn CPU temp is always at 64ºC overall. If I'm working on it full load it tends to go to 69ºC. I've taken out every single particle of dust out of the PC, changed the CPU fan to another one with a copper heatsink, and yesterday added a layer of Arctic Compound to the proc. The temperature is still the same. i dont want to invest a lot of money on a water cooling system, but I really dont want my PC to break down cause of high temps. I'll appreaciate any help any1 can give me.

Culepatua said:
Hi...I've had a heat problem for as long as I can remember
So is it a problem if the PC works?

Old AMD Athlons with Palomino core are known for their high operating temperatures.

I have similar problem with mine.
The last PC I mess around with was P2 so I am totally at lost with the current PC ... it's a Alienware 5300 SFF (Shuttle Case) P4 3.2 540J. BIOS report system temp at 41-42 C but CPU temp between 70-80 C, shouldn't my CPU melt by now if it's been running at that temp?

I used Hardware Sensor Monitor and it report
Mainbord 71.0 CPU 1 43 and Power 50 (all in Celcius).

I have the system for over a year and it never shut down, run WoW all the times....

The problem is the damm fan is on high all the time and it totally defeat the purpose of supposely having a SFF unit with "supposely" silence running system. I have to put the thing under the table just so I can hear my self think.

Call Alienware they of course wasn't much help. (The last system I will buy from them).

Is my sensor reporting bogus numbers or is my system running like a miniature heater ...

Thanks

n00b

@Mictlantecuhtli : yeah but i got a friend who Oc'ed a 1800+(1500Mhz) to 2250Mhz and keeps it 49C' in full Load...tested with SuperPi + Everest
@Arturan
Maybe the cpu is not properly greased with thermal paste.(Check It!)
Those are some really high temperatures.(clean the Heatsink,or get a new and bigger one...maybe watercooling? :> )

I have an AMD 2400+ Athlon which ran at 63 degrees celcius all the time with no problems. I decided to clean the heatsink and reseated it and applied AS5 and the temps fell 7 degrees.

But when it was running at 63 i had no problems at all.

Actually I did that today, clean out the heatsink and reapply the paste. Temperature still read the same.

I am not sure which is correct , bios said System temp at 41 and CPU at 70+ but hardware temp program said Mainboard 71 and CPU1 at 41...so the number is essenctially reverse. I am assuming bios is correct.

How does the modern sensor temp work? I still remember when we used to attach thermometer sensor to check temp. : P

Is there other way I can check if it reporting the right temp? and seriously shouldn't mine cpu melt by now ....

-art

Clean your other fans and tidy your cables up to improve airflow. How long has it been that your CPU is running at those temps?

Case fan is clean, clean the radiator thing also.

It has been running at this hot since I got it (which is over a year now), however I never did check the temp until now. Alienware told me it was my graphic card that was making all the noise so I never thought much of it until I swap out my graphic card last month and notice that it was the case fan that was making all the noise.

I took out the heatsink, clean it, put on fresh layer of Arctic Silver today and make sure that the heat sink has good contact. It still run at the same temperature. I was thinking may be Shuttle case and their ICE system is just poorly design but I went on line and read several reviews and they all said that their systems run cool and silence!

Do I just have a hot running CPU ... or defective sensor??

I download SiS Sandra and it gives the same report as my bio which essentially telling me that my CPU is running at 70+ Celcius. Is Motherboard temp and system temp mean the temp inside my computer (ie anbient temp)? Anyway, the case is always cold to the touch, my room is not hot (I live in cool climate zone), the air that blowing out of the case is cool and not hot air but heatsink is superhot. The case fan noise is unbearable ... however.

I was looking for may be different cooling system, but I can't find any that would fit into that Shuttle SFF case. All the CPU cooling fans are all the size of a turbine jet.

Thanks for all the help.

So last night I was playing WoW and when in game the Temps kept rising to 70-71 ºC. I lowered them by minimizing the game from time to time. When im not using the PC the temp is always in 64ºC. Today I decided to leave the case open and the temp dropped from 64 to 60 in about 10 minutes. My case is not one of the cool friendly environment cases (doesnt even have a fan on the side panel), but I dont wanna work with it open cause it just gets more dust into the PC. EVen so, as I mentioned before, I had done all of the things youve recomended (cleaned everything thoroughly and applied a new layer of Arctic Compound to my proc) so im not supposed to get these high temps. I dont know what to do...maybe getting a new case might help but I know its not the real solution to my cpu heating up so much.

With my own hot CPU running like this for years i havnt had any problems. But if you are really worried about it then you can buy a new heatsink and fan for your CPU. Check this site out: http://www.quietpc.com

May be it's just WoW : P
Blizz need to fix all the lag and making our CPU hot!

Anyhow, I boot up today and was watching my CMOS, the CPU on boot (from cold) was 51C then it slowly climb about 1 degree every 30sec until it reach about 80C. This without even booting to Window ...

So is it my cooler not working then? since the temp didn't just rise to 70-80 but slowly climb with to me suggest that the cooler is not doing its job.

I have a hardtime finding CPU cooler that will fit into SFF case.

Any suggestion?

-Art

As I've said before I already got a new fan and heatsink with a copper base + the Arctic Compound. Anyways...I got Cpuidle software and now my CPU temp went from 64ºC to 43ºC while being idle. Even so, it still goes up to 69-70ºC while playing WoW. Any idead why my temp is so freaking high? I need to take it down at least 10 degrees.

Today I rig an extra 80mm fan and stuck it on top of the heatsink. The temp come down a few degree at idle speed. (about 3) it's 1500 rpm silence fan. (I dont need any more noise coming out of that little box.

However here is what I found digging around temperature sensor. Someone post the easy way to tell if the sensor is correct is to let the system cool off (preferably overnight). Then turn on the computer in the monring and check the temp in the CMOS and the system and cpu temp at the moment of bootup should match or be close to room temp.

I did this on my computer and upon boot, my CPU temp read 51 degree! and it slowly rise to about 75 degree (in celsius) and stay there. (I assume that's idle temp). My room temperature is about 22-23 degree so if this method of checking is valid then the sensor is off by about +25 give or take.

So my CPU reading of 70-80 C is only 45 to 55. (80 is temp when I play WoW). That if this theory is valid. This kinda make sense because I have been running at this temp since I got the unit and it's over a year ago and the CPU would either slowdown substantialy or shutdown (or burn out) by now if it was running constantly at 80+ For awhile I even stuck the unit on the shelf (which generater more heat than sitting on my table) to drown out the noise ... and it never once shut down or slow down to a point that I notice it.

Any comment on this is appreciated because I ran out of idea of what to do. There is no CPU cooler that will fit into this sub-compact shuttle case....

thanks
-art

PS: To culepatua. My CPU temp jump substantialy when I start WoW. Sometimes as high as 15+ degree from idel temp depend on where I am in WoW.

Ok...so I was all happy I had "fixed the problem". My PC was running fine even if it was heating up a bit while in full load. So I was playing WoW, minding my own business and all of the sudden the screen goes black with a thin blue frame on the left side. So I'm like WTF and I try to reboot my PC. Surprise surprise, the PC wont do anything. Doesnt give the initial beep nor any beeps, no screen comes up, the fans are turning, the HDD seems to be working, but I still dont get whats going on. So I try and clear the CMOS jumper, changed the RAM, took out the mobo out of the case to make sure its not being shorted, try with only one HDD, took out the video card and tried with the onboard video. Nothing worked. Now I have a non working piece of junk lying on top of my desk.

not sure about the CPU...cuz..i fried my cpu yesterday and the PC just won't start anymore..when the cpu was plugged into the slot the psu fan spinned like...ONCE! and then stops,but without the cpu my psu fan worked.

Vantec Tornado's Your Soloution

I had the same problem with my pc. My cpu temp was at 54c, so i put in 2 Vantec Tornando's (CASE FANS) which spin at 8000RPM and they connected to a Nexus fan controller. From 54c it dropped to 16.5c , NO JOKES

Quickice said:
I had the same problem with my pc. My cpu temp was at 54c, so i put in 2 Vantec Tornando's (CASE FANS) which spin at 8000RPM and they connected to a Nexus fan controller. From 54c it dropped to 16.5c , NO JOKES
now thats one big Joke...were you outside in the cold winters of north Pole?
the best cooling for a cpu is like ambient temp + 10C with the best cooling you find(air).
2X8000..LoL...can you here yourself speaking in the room ..??
Oh..and africa ain't looking like a cold continent...especially at summer lol.

Vantec Tornado fan!!! Thats loud!!!. I 've got one but i need a fan controller to make it run at quiter speeds. Hot air aint got no chance with two of those in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back