High end Haswell Mobos

death791

Hi I recently posted a topic about upgrading my z77 1155 socket mobo to and newer higher end 1155 board with 3/4way cfx/sli support, But now I am going to be selling my Msi z77 board and my intel 3570k to a buddy at work, and with the money I will be upgrading to the newer 4770k or the 4820k if it is released in time and if it is 1150 socket. Now with that said I have around $400-450 budget on a new Z87 board with 3/4 way cfx/sli support, I'm only spending this much because with this setup I don't plan on upgrading to a new processor/mobo for a couple of years. Here are the motherboard I have been looking at..

MSI Z87 Xpower flagship board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130689

Asus Maximus VI Extreme http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131974

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Force http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128596

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5 LGA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128595

Now as far as the boards go their all very similar the Asus Republic of Gamer boards seems to be a lot of peoples choice when it comes to Gaming Rigs but then MSI Xpower board seems to have the best On board audio and On board Lan Chipset which would be nice because three 7970s will probably cover all the PCI Slots but the board has the highest price tag. So out of my 4 choices listed I'm just wondering which board seems the best to go with when it comes to BIOS and high overclocking on both the CPU and three 7970s in Triple CFX. By the way this is a Gaming Pc. Thanks a lot for opinion's and comments for which to go with.

The 4820K will be socket LGA 2011. It will not work for this build (Z87).

When looking at high end boards, you do not need to look at onboard audio and LAN since enthusiasts usually like to buy sounds cards and high end network cards. But the Xpower comes with a Killer networking card already, so that is out of the way. You may want a sound card though.

All the boards have their advantages, like the Xpower has a killer (brand) LAN card, the ASUS has great quality and features (like the OC panel), and the Gigabyte, well, I dont know xD.

Keep in mind though, the Xpower motherboard is an XL ATX. Make sure your case can handle it.

I would recommend the ASUS since I love ASUS boards and they have great quality, but the MSI one is also tempting, just make sure your case can fit it. It really comes down to color schemes since all have great features. The Gigabyte may be loud since it has chipset fans, so I would avoid them.

If you are doing a triple xfire configuration, I really think you should water cool them since they will really heat up.

Like JC713, I also prefer Asus motherboards. Though I have a friend who recently bought a Z77 MSI gaming board and another who bought a Z87 version MSI gaming board and both are loving them.

since your doing 3 way CFX, heres my two cents.

Asus Maximum Z87

Gigabyte Force Z87

These are my two personal recommendations when going with more than 2 GPU's (Excluding 2 Dual GPU Setups)

Cool I have picked this board to go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131802 seeing the 4820k is coming out soon, but maybe they will release a couple new 2011 board once the cpu comes out. if I'm to go with this board will my ram work with this board or will I have to buy new ram as well. this is the ram I currently have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231510

And yes im currently building my watercooling setup so I wanna get the board in before I order the cpu block and fill the loop.

If your going with Ivy-Bridge E, I would wait for the new boards to come with it, the changes the chip will bring may not work well (Or at all) with current boards. They should be just around the corner as well.

If you're changing platforms now you should definitely wait a couple of weeks go with the 4820K + X79 motherboard. Compared to a 4770K + Z87 board with 4 way GPU support it will have similar performance (when overclocked), doesn't use a PLX chip and will be slightly cheaper. The Rampage IV Extreme you picked is a decent choice.

Yea, the pricing for these chips (While still pricey) is going to be better priced than Sand Bridge-E at launch which is quite nice. Im probably grabbing the 4930k and an Asus board as well around the time of realease though im still debating things over.

You wont have to upgrade ram for the new platform, but to take advantage of the 4 channel memory controller you needs four sticks of ram (Which you have selected already).

Ok thanks for the reply I was reading on newegg it was saying my ram was Compatible with Intel LGA1155 platforms Intel XMP support for 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors so I wasn't for sure if it would work with the 4820k and x79 platform board If so I was just going to grab probably another 16gbs and upgrade to 32gb

Ok thanks for the reply I was reading on newegg it was saying my ram was Compatible with Intel LGA1155 platforms Intel XMP support for 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors so I wasn't for sure if it would work with the 4820k and x79 platform board
They don't normally mention as much compatibility with the X79 platform of chips due to the low area of the market those chips normally attract. But you can just about guarantee anything labeled "Compatible with the Intel Core Series processors" to include X79.

Cool I have picked this board to go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131802 seeing the 4820k is coming out soon, but maybe they will release a couple new 2011 board once the cpu comes out. if I'm to go with this board will my ram work with this board or will I have to buy new ram as well. this is the ram I currently have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231510

And yes im currently building my watercooling setup so I wanna get the board in before I order the cpu block and fill the loop.

I think the 4770K is a better choice. The 4770K will run much more efficient and cooler than IB-E, but it is your choice.

I think the 4770K is a better choice. The 4770K will run much more efficient and cooler than IB-E, but it is your choice.
Not when overclocked and under load, IB-E chips will use fluxless solder rather than thermal paste under the IHS so will run much cooler. In terms of power consumption Haswell will be better but not by much since they're both based on 22nm processes.

Well we will have to see, remember the E series from Intel uses significant amounts of power compared to the regular series. Though im betting Ivy-Bridge E will be nicer compared to Sandy Bridge E, I don't think that its going to be lower power consumption than Haswell even though haswell uses more power that ivy bridge.

Not when overclocked and under load, IB-E chips will use fluxless solder rather than thermal paste under the IHS so will run much cooler. In terms of power consumption Haswell will be better but not by much since they're both based on 22nm processes.

Right! Forgot about that.

That's the main reason im interested in Ivy bridge-e because that too me means that overclocking will be reat on that chip just like sandy bridge was (Well hopefully at least close to sandy bridge-e). One of my friends reently (could not talk him out of it) bought a 3820, its a darn good chip for the money and he managed to overclock it to I think 4.4 on air. With an actual unlocked multiplier, the 4820k will be a huge improvement and will be a great chip for the money when even compared to the 4770k.

That's the main reason im interested in Ivy bridge-e because that too me means that overclocking will be reat on that chip just like sandy bridge was (Well hopefully at least close to sandy bridge-e). One of my friends reently (could not talk him out of it) bought a 3820, its a darn good chip for the money and he managed to overclock it to I think 4.4 on air. With an actual unlocked multiplier, the 4820k will be a huge improvement and will be a great chip for the money when even compared to the 4770k.

What does the 3820 use if it doesnt have an "unlocked multiplier". I never got that.

What does the 3820 use if it doesnt have an "unlocked multiplier". I never got that.
Without the multiplier, you are reduced to the old fashioned way of changing the frequency on the motherboard. Down side is of course that changes all the setting on the ram, Cpu, and motherboard so you have to be a lot more careful (Its annoying to me, but some people still love to do it that way). He did it by doing that and making the ram/motherboard frequencies match up to what the max they can handle at a level down and just adjusted the settings that way, just takes more time.

Back