High pitch Humming sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.. i got a problem and I've been checking online to find a solution to this problem and I haven't been able to. There is a high pitch hum coming from my computer, and it also flows through my speakers so the higher the volume, the higher the high pitch sound gets.. and its giving me a headache. I unplugged the videocard/moniter and speakers yet the hum sound is still there. Even when i shut down my computer, I can still hear it, and when I unplug the cable from the power box to my motherboard the sound went away, also if i move the cords from that plug it stops/turns back on, so I'm figuring it has something to do with that but got no idea what to actually do, thank you.

Disconnect the power cables going from the PSU to the motherboard.

As for what to do with the PSU (if it is to blame for the noise).. Replace it. If lucky, you may even be able to have it replaced under warranty.

Yeah if I take the big cable out of the motherboard the humming sound stops, so the only way to fix it, is to buy a new one?

I don't think it is my PSU.. when I unplug the power cord from the PSU to my motherboard, while in shutdown mode, the humming stops, but my PSU isn't dependant on the motherboard so should be still on yet not humming and also, when I plug it back in the humming stops until windows is booted up and I open something.

Ok, so it is something on the motherboard. The PCI devices are also partly powered, so any of these could hum too..

If you're getting it through the speakers, something on the board is creating RF interference and is no grounded/shielded well.

And it could still be the PSU supplying some nasty noise to the mobo.. Try replacing one or the other :)

"If you're getting it through the speakers, something on the board is creating RF interference and is no grounded/shielded well."

I'm not all exactly sure what that means.. is that fixable? Or do I got to buy a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back