High pitch noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i hope you can help me with this problem.

I have a desktop HP Vectra VL400, pentium III 850 Mhz.

This is the sequence of ocurrencies:

1. After booting could not log back into windows XP. It would make high a high pitch noise followed by 6 beeps
2. Upgraded the BIOs from HP and flashed it. It seem to go away. I can go into BIOS but not in the OS
3. Reformatted the hard drive with a fresh installation of XP but when it went to last step installing windows it did it again.
4. Ran antivirus from a floppy. It didn't find any
5. Downloaded the diagnostoc CD from HP and boot up with it and didn't find anything wrong with the PC.
6. I have another similar PC which I swapped all the parts: HD, PS, RAM but still give me the same problem.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Hi, Howard

Thank you for replying. I conducted a memeory test for about half an hour with a bootable CD that I downloaded. It passed OK. Later I tried again to install windows XP and when it was finishing again i got the high pitch noise

I don't understand why it worked so long during the memory test without beeping and it formats the hard drive and everything, however, at the part when it says it is going to reeboot the pc it makes 3 long beeps and 6 short beeps.
I tried to find equivalent beep code but could not find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back