High pitch whining from Graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab2140

Hi ppl this is my first time using a forum because i can useuly solve the problems but im at my wits end with this one. Ok heres the deal i have ati radeon x850 xt crossfire on my pc and for some strange reason when i run a 3d app or game the cards produce a very irritating high pitch whining !!! and i do not understand why !! please if anyone has had this problem reply me with a solution ASAP im getting annoyed :p thanks

how would i go about doing those things i dont wanna mess up my graphics card by taking of the fan

You could try unplugging the red and black power wires to the fan, but don't run it too long unplugged. If the whine disappears, you will have to replace the GPU fan on the video card

You don't have to actually take off the fan. You can just unplug it from the power connection on the graphics card - but very briefly only. You don't want to fry it.

mailpup said:
You don't have to actually take off the fan. You can just unplug it from the power connection on the graphics card - but very briefly only. You don't want to fry it.

My thoughts exactly :cool:

thanks guys for the repllys but my problem persists i tooks out the fan cables and still i hear that noise i am positive it is coming from the graphica card so what could be the problem?

Rab2140 said:
thanks guys for the repllys but my problem persists i tooks out the fan cables and still i hear that noise i am positive it is coming from the graphica card so what could be the problem?
You have to ramp up the cards' fans' speed when using 3D mode to something like 100% using a program like ATITool or ATI Tray Tools.

You're probably running it at it's normal 5%... What I've noticed is that if it gets too hot (due to the low fan speed) it start's to first whine very annoyingly and then it starts to artifact. And then it'll probably fry, but I didn't wait that long.

thanks for that i have ati tool what do i do now cheers

omg !! i think i just found it ok help me on this one guys agi shi thanks for that suggestition on adjuting the fan speeds will having the fan speeds at 100 all the time wreck my card in anyway? while u told me to do that i had supecsions for days thats something wasnt right , u see i have ati crossfire i,e two graphics running at the same time and i was waving my hand over the back where tha fans from the card blow out air and i found my primary card was blowing out so much air at high speed and my secondary card was blowing air but u could barley feel it . so thanks to your suggestion about adjusting the fan speeds agi shi i never would have known about that card bearly blowing out air . so could that have been causing the whine?

Rab2140 said:
omg !! i think i just found it ok help me on this one guys agi shi thanks for that suggestition on adjuting the fan speeds will having the fan speeds at 100 all the time wreck my card in anyway? while u told me to do that i had supecsions for days thats something wasnt right , u see i have ati crossfire i,e two graphics running at the same time and i was waving my hand over the back where tha fans from the card blow out air and i found my primary card was blowing out so much air at high speed and my secondary card was blowing air but u could barley feel it . so thanks to your suggestion about adjusting the fan speeds agi shi i never would have known about that card bearly blowing out air . so could that have been causing the whine?
Having your fan at full speed all the time won't wreck it. But it IS loud. What I suggest is:

Open ATITool.
On the top where it says "Profile", click new, and call it "2D".
Do the same thing again, but this time call it "3D".
Now, go to "Settings", "Fan Control". Check "Override Fan Speed". Put a dot next to "Fixed Percentage" and put it at "10%". Click "Save" and choose "2D".
Do the same thing, but for the "Fixed Percentage" put it at 100% instead of 10%. Save it again, but as "3D".

Now:
Close ATITool and reopen it. On the top where it says "Profile", make sure "2D" is selected. Press "properties" and hold down some key combo. Press the "update" button and make sure it's the combo that you just pressed. This'll be your keys that you'll have to press when you want the fan to run at 10%.

Do the same, but for "3D". Choose a different key combo. This'll be your keys that you'll have to press when you want the fan to run at 100%.

Go to "Settings" again. Go to "Startup". Check "Every time ATITool is loaded, load this profile". Choose "2D". Check "Load on Windows startup via" and choose "Start menu (all users)". Now, you're done.

When you boot up your pc the fans will go automatically to a safe 10%. When you want to run something 3D, simply press your combo for 3D. When you exit 3D, go back to 2D by pressing your 2D combo. This ensures that for 3D you have your fans at 100% and 2D at a queit 10%.

---------

If the whine stopped, then that was your cause :). It was my cause too, so most likely, yes.

thanks alot agi . i think i can still hear whining well not so much whinning its like uno when u walk in a room witha tv the ping noise u get in ur ear its like that all the time do you think it might take a while for the whing to stop because i had it at those speeds for so long or is there any thing else u can suggest . cheers

Crossfire requires 2 identical cards so swapping them around should work no problem!!

i think ur think of SLI ;) i read that the crossfire master card had to be in the primary pci-e slot i.e the one furthist from the cpu switvhing them would therefore disable crossfire. im sure

omg !!!!!!!!!!!!! its my power supply !!!!! dammit will i need a new one

Hey ppl i just bout this power supply and installed it and it is making a terrible noise like whining what is the cause and how can i fix it ?

What is the exact power supply name? Tell us the manufacturer and model.
A power supply making a whining sound could be due to a bad/leaking capacitor.

EDIT: I actually replied to your power supply thread in the "Other Hardware" board...I wonder how the post got copied here...

EDIT2: Never mind :)

OHHHHH damn i am soo annoyed here ppl i can hear a high pitched ringing sound somewhere in my pc im not sure now if it is the power supply or my graphics cards im pretty sure its my cards and i do not no what to do i have tried taking them out separating them ( as much as i could) ive tried rewiring my mobo and yet the damn indernal ringing persists !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when ever i run a game or 3d its starts and ir sooo annoying thus my suspecsion of the gfx cards what elese can i do ???

That can be the fan speed automatically increasing its speed , That can be loud,

When your not gaming, idle can be thirty percent of the fan speed; U launch the game and GPU gets hot, the fan speeds automatically increases,

Physically ,, the card shuldnt make other whack noises,

If you feel this is not the fan, which I feel it is, then possibly your card is on its way to die,

Most probably yes, you might consider a new cooling system, or maybe you fan aren't installed properly. So open your case and dust it out,, see how is the fan of gpu, is it tight on the correct place, is it clean, is the heatsink installed properly. Well this is things you might do to *nurse* your gpu.
If you find that the gpu degree is low but the fan are making lot of noise then new cooling system could solve it.

remember, first of all check the degree of your GPU.

btw welcome to techspot

You must isolate the whining fan. If you have extra case fans, unplug them all. If the whining goes on, then it's not your case fans.

There are only three fans that must be on at all times: The PSU fan, the CPU fan, and the video card fan. Turn off every other fan except those three. Then open up your case and lean your ear close to each of them (not too close....).

The area which the whining sounds loudest would be the fan that the whining is coming from!

well ino that its not dirt because all the components are brand new about two weeks so i doubt thats its dirt or anything i was thinkin of buying new coolers but do not know where to get one but i doubt it is the fans

Even if it is not a fan, you still need to isolate the component making the sound so that you know what to replace. Listen carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back