High school students use 3D printer to reinvent the ketchup cap

By Shawn Knight
Apr 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A pair of students from Liberty North High School have come up with a solution to an age-old problem using modern day technology. As part of a national program called Project Lead The Way, Jonathan Thompson and Tyler Richards have...

Read more
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Thanks for making me hungry Techspot :p

That's cool, I have been wanting to see some real cool innovations using 3D printers. I really want to get my hand on one of these devices in the near future to try my hand at my own home crafting.
  3. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

Ooo! Good job guys. ;) Sounds like a good start to a promising career. =D
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,378

Nice, except that 3D printing emits toxic fumes, and the resulting material isn't healthy for being in direct contact with food. In all, I wouldn't let kids near 3D printers.
  5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

I wish they'd reinvent something else as well, personally I cannot stand tomato sauce (or ketchup if you speak American) so it'll never benefit me. :)
  6. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 633   +163

Way to be a negative nanny there.

1. Every manufacturing process emits toxic fumes, thats why there are no factories in residential areas in the first place. I'm sure they are working in a ventilated room and there is protective gear available.

2. The products made from 3d printers are for testing and not for mass production and actual use with food.
  7. It's cheaper to shake and squeeze it. viola! no water!
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  8. ...but that doesn't involve 3D printing :p
  9. Their ingenious idea still no match from mine!!! I will use this 3D printer to create a prototype of 20nm Maxwell GPU or maybe 10nm GPU with Volta or Pascal architecture.. also I will use it to create 7nm CPU successor of Skylake.. Then I called it Skywalker! :D
  10. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 736   +259

And then when the ketchup bottle is almost empty, you'll have extra ketchup in that portion of the cap (as I'll assume people turn it upside down when it's almost empty)....

So I guess it'll work best if you always keep it full...
  11. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,601   +411

I've never seen that much water come out of any Ketchup I've used... because I shake the bottle before use. *shocker*
  12. NotParker

NotParker TS Member Posts: 22   +6

Michelle Obama's new school menu doesn't allow ketchup.
  13. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,383   +105

Why aren't they using Organic Ketchup? Doesn't have Corn Syrup junk in there. Pure Organic Cain Sugar. Everything use have real sugar until someone said sugar was bad for your teeth! Then Corn Syrup and High-F junk was used.