• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

zipperman

Do you feel it's necessary to post all that information,instead of
Just the device thats a problem ?
Knowing what printer you have isn't necessary
for a monitor problem.:rolleyes:

If someone suspects a malware issue or just wants to see if they have one, then a HJT log is necessary.

It`s also quite a good way of seeing what`s running on a system and stopping unnecessary processes.

However, I do agree, that some people post HJT logs unnecessarily, when it`s nothing do with their initial problem.

So really, my answer is, it depends on what the reason for posting a HJT log really is.

Regards Howard :)

i agree with howard, sometimes people go "my fps is low so here's a hjt log", usually their problem is that they have intel integrated graphics

again, as howard says, if you suspect a malware problem then it's a very powerful tool if you know how to use it

I tried to post this as not totally and never necessary.
The 3 voteing options cover that.But i vote No.
Some i have taken the time to read,don't even list the problem device.
Where can i test my system with one ?

Where can i test my system with one ?

Do you mean you would like to run HJT and have the results analysed?

If so, post a HJT log in the security and the web forum and I`ll be happy to take a look at it for you.

No.I just want to know where i can do it to analyse myself.
I have no problems and want to see what it reports.

Ah, I see.

There are some online HJT analysers you can use(Google), but they are often wrong. The problem with them, is even if you manage to identify malware in a HJT log, it`s not always enough to just have HJT fix the entry. That`s because a lot of malware needs special tools/techniques in order to remove it.

In fact, just having HJT fix the nasty entry, can actually make it harder for someone to remove an infection.

I think that any person should be post his/her HJT log if any forum people (staff or someone that can read and understand it) ask it

Regards ;)

I think the purpose of posting the hijack logs is grossly misunderstood! Although I' don't interpret these logs, occasionally I will view one. And the person posting may have said something like 'my computer is slow', check my hijack log' with no other information.

Basically many users don't know where or how to begin troubleshooting- for instance, using the msconfig utility to stop unnecessary programs from starting up and running in the background!

I think posting these logs in some cases is a waste of time for the person who must run the scans and for the person who will review them because of this. Running HijackThis, posting the log and having it reviewed should only be done when there is a known malware or an indication of malware- not as a way to 'streamline' a computer system.

An advanced user can also handle their own log- the keyword here is "advanced".

So to answer your poll questions: I would have to say Yes, No and Maybe.

Bobbye,
You have added to what i was trying to say,very well.
I made multiple votes available,so please vote.
Yes, No and Maybe.
:)

Then I would have to say "Maybe" and would add 'dependent upon the circumstances.'

Using Windows XP Home, SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back