Hijackthis File attached:

Status
Not open for further replies.
When downloading from IE pictures. My browser will get to a point where it will no long allow me to download. I have to close everything open Windows task manager and find iexplore.exe and delete it form process tab before continuing. This also happens when working within window's folders. When file managing. I'm a web developer and this slows down my work. Any suggestions?

I thought the culprit was a screen saver I downloaded from download.com, called Planstate. As you know they say "tested spyware free" on this site. So I thought it was safe. I had trouble uninstalling it as an error kept coming up with a file not found. But I reinstalled the screen saver and then uninstalled it again. It seemed to work all exact it's still in my screen saver list... But gone from my programs list. Oh, and maybe it's just me but perhaps things are taking longer to load = slower.

Well there you have it. What are your thoughts? Oh, and thanks for your help:)

Oh, and here's the link to the screen saver: Planestate

The screensaver doe look legit.

However, I`d like to have a more in depth check for malware.

Download combofix.exe. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts. A window will open with a warning. Type "1" (and Enter) to start the fix. When the scan completes it will open a text window. Please attach that log back here together with a fresh HJT log. Caution - do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop.

Combofix will automatically save the log file to C:\combofix.txt

Post the Combofix log.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of nasinu only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks for all of your help Howard! I tried downloading "combofix" many times and from various places. They all say: "current date is 2007-11-19. This copy of Combofix has expired. Please download an updated copy.

Several people have been having that problem with Combofix. I checked it out myself yesterday and got exactly the same thing. Obviously, there must be some kind of problem with Combofix at the moment. Hopefully, it`ll be fixed soon.

In the meantime, please do the following.

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS and save it to your Desktop.
DISCONNECT FROM THE INTERNET...REMOVE THE PLUG FROM THE BACK OF THE COMPUTER

Close all other windows before proceeding.

This means TURN OFF ALL other security programmes.
Norton Anti-virus, AVG Anti-spyware or any other security programmes you`re running.

Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please attach the main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.

Re-enable your security programmes and reconnect to the net.

This thread is for the use of nasinu only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Your HJT log is clean.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

ss3unstl.exe

Close task manager.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or folders(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\ss3unstl.exe

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Other than the above, your system looks clean.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

If your system is still acting weird, I suggest you try a Windows repair as per the instructions in this thread HERE.

Howard, I just wanted to thank you for all of your assistance! You've been great! I finally have resolved my computer issue, all thanks to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back