TechSpot

Hilton plans to completely replace room keys with smartphones by 2016

By Justin Kahn
Jul 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hilton Worldwide has been investing heavily in upgrading its various hotel locations with smart features and it plans to continue to do so with even more extensive smartphone integration. By 2016, all Hilton (and Hilton owned) hotel locations will offer customers...

Read more

2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,540   +2,337

I predict this will make bad press in the future when Hilton is in the news answering for an outbreak of property thefts at "smart" locations.

Mandark57 likes this.
  3. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 350   +103

Pretty much the smarter you make things in the end, will usually result in a targeted effort to be exploited. Yes you have everything handing out info, or whatever it happens to do. What's going to stop those from finding holes in the security, and exploiting it for their own gain?

You make things 'better' for quality of life, but you also often leave things open for exploits too. Many think of one side of the coin, but then ignore the other side of the coin and the problems it can entail.

Mandark57 likes this.
  4. My, "here are the keys to my room" trick won't work anymore :(

Hot ladies lament.

5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,309   +56

As I've said a lot lately, dumb. My deceased friend martin didn't even know how to turn a dumbphone on and off. Neither does a relative who will remain nameless.

6. HellcatM

HellcatM TS Rookie Posts: 35

"Hilton plans to completely replace room keys with smartphones by 2016"

and the reality which you put in the article

"By 2016, all Hilton (and Hilton owned) hotel locations will offer customers the ability to use their smartphones as room keys. "

Are two different things. One seems like click bate and the other is reality. Now the thing is if you would have said the realty in your headline I would have still read it because it would have been just as interesting to me but I clicked it because I knew there had to be more to it because not everyone has a smartphone yet and if they didn't have the plastic cards anymore that would kill a nice portion of their business.

7. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,389   +329

So how would you give a nice lass your key to your room? lol

8. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 671   +73

This is Hilton's underhand way of supporting hackers! They'll be giving them free rooms starting 2016!

Mandark57 likes this.
  9. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,540   +2,337

You don't. You look her dead in the eye, smile (cocky like), and tell her to give you hers.

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

I'd say a lass who accepts the key to your room (not you personally) can't be classified as a nice lass. **tongue in cheek**

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

The headline of the article is a bit misleading, before reading it I interpreted as instead of them handing you keys or a card, they'd hand you a smartphone instead.