TechSpot

Hitachi launches its first SSDs, with help from Intel

By Emil
Nov 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. As expected, Hitachi Global Storage Technologies has announced its new Ultrastar brand of Solid State Drives (SSDs). The Ultrastar SSD400S family comes in 100GB, 200GB, and 400GB flavors. The latter can endure up to 35PB of random writes over the life of the drive, which is the equivalent of writing 19.2TB per day for five years.

Read the whole story

2. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Maniac Posts: 431   +8

Geeez. Well these seem impressive.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,055   +970

Just when you thought there was no point to SATA 3, they come up with these......

4. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

Oh nice, bet they'll be rather expensive though!

But if they are anything like there own traditional hard drives they'll last ages and be reliable.

5. captaincranky

Not so for their VCRs.

6. Leeky

I never used video cassettes, by the time I watched films on TV we were using DVDs - So I couldn't comment on them, but my experiences of mechanical discs, and reports I read online seem to offer positive feedback on reliability.

Though that said, I can't really say in any honesty I've found my Hitachi drive to be any more reliable than my WD, or Seagate for one simple reason - I've never had a single HDD fail on me, ever, yet. :haha: (touch wood)

7. captaincranky

Nah man, I go way back, even before there were VCRs, or for that matter, audio cassettes!

A friend suggested that his employer had switched from Seagate / WD to Hitachi HDDs. Not sure how that worked out.

With that said, it seems a moot point about Hitachi SSD reliability, since if the article is correct, they'll be rebadged Intel. Or at least, Intel internals.

Talk about ancient history, I had one of the machines that used these original RCA HUGE audio cassettes.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_tape_cartridge and more on these..... http://www.dianaschnuth.net/details/audio/cartridge.html

8. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 309   +37

Awesome. Another hard drive producer launches SSD, and in 400GB flavors? Prices are going to drop even further.

9. Leeky

@Capt.
    Loving the massive audio cassette! :haha:

I remember the mega floppy 5 1/4" floppy discs! :) My old workplace had a couple laying around! Hard to think once upon a time they were the default way of storing files.

@Nima304;

I wouldn't bet on that too much, prices for SSD's are going to remain higher than most peoples budgets for a couple of years yet - Or until at least considerably larger sizes are offered and become mainstream.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.