Hitachi Solid-State Drives are coming

Emil

Staff

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies has published an image of its upcoming enterprise Solid-State Drive (SSD) on its website, according to Xbit Labs. Hitachi's SSDs have Intel NAND flash memory and SSD technology inside. Hitachi and Intel announced their plan to jointly work on enterprise-class SSDs in late 2008. The first products were slated for the first half of 2010, but have been delayed to the second half of the year, likely due to the economic recession.

Now, we've got an image to go on, but still no exact date for release. Furthermore, specifications have yet to be announced as well. SSDs with FC and SAS interfaces are only sold by STEC, so Hitachi should be able to sell its products well. That being said, the company is known for its hard disk drives and it might have a bit of trouble convincing its current customers, especially given that it does not produce its own SSDs for consumers or workstations.

Permalink to story.

Yay bring on the SSD awesomeness. Less enterprise more commercial though so we can get prices to drop. It's going to be difficult to get people to switch to SSD though considering the insanely great deals on HDDs per GB vs SSD.

The more compagnies into this business the more they make good products and the cheeper thay get.

Cant wait to get my hands on a SSD for Boot and gamming. But i have to say OCZ PCI SSD really impressed me Hope more developpement will go that way.

Neojt said:
The more compagnies into this business the more they make good products and the cheeper thay get.

Cant wait to get my hands on a SSD for Boot and gamming. But i have to say OCZ PCI SSD really impressed me Hope more developpement will go that way.

OCZ Z-drive! I want one, but I don't think many people, myself, can afford to drop $1k on a SSD.

Isn't Hitachi part of Panasonic? As I remember a while ago they decided to change Hitachi to Panasonic. Is it still going to happen or not?

Maybe they'll actually make something competitive. I'm still waiting for prices to drop to an reasonable price range before buying one. (at least where i live - things tend to be much more expensive than other places here)

Hopefully this will help lead to a price drop, and also hopefully these will be better drives than the old Hitachi DeathStar drives.

I would rellay like an SSD, but i refuse to pay the current prices.
When the price for a system drive (120GB) is close to $100 I will consider it.

kazarm said:
I would rellay like an SSD, but i refuse to pay the current prices.
When the price for a system drive (120GB) is close to $100 I will consider it.

Agreed but for $100 you can get a 1 TB HDD. I think I'd like to see SSD's with around 300-400 GB for that price and I might consider one.

Nexus7Model said:
Boot to an SSD but store to HDD will become a popular option. Win/Win!

True :) . However, when the SSD $/GbB-ratio reach those of HHD's, then we'll probably se full-SSD computers a lot more. Possibly more often than HDD-PC's. Who knows? Maybe HDD-SSD configurations are here to stay?

there gona keep prices high for a while because they can and they will still make money off it if you want the cheap option you goto stick with mechanical.

Agreed but for $100 you can get a 1 TB HDD. I think I'd like to see SSD's with around 300-400 GB for that price and I might consider one.
Quit shopping wherever you are shopping. You can get 2TB drives for less than $100 now.

This separate drives will continually get cheaper as they are based on Silicon. Just slightly different to ram memory really, using Spoors law, the number of transistors doubles every 18 months. This is still likely to be the case with these devices. Also like any Chip based fabricated device they become insanely cheap after the initial R&D and tape out is done. No reason why they should nt get 1/2 the price and faster with every iteration. Poor old Hard drives are mechanical, difficult to get any new tech in there. Good for Large Storage, backup. I see EVERY disk being a RAid1 internally at some point, for safety s sake, and to mop up the excess capacity. SSD will be integrated onto the motherboard. And I will be a hero, just for one day!

yeah.....that sounds logical, but what if u usually run more apps and games than your ssd can contain?......lets hope for prices drops then.

I keep hoping that SSD's will drop in price significantly. Reality is that this will be a long time before prices effectively push platters into history.

Not much of an announcement but glad to see SSD drives are starting to come to the masses. Looking forward to seeing pricing and performance data when they come out.

With more SSD drives coming out on the market the faster the prices will fall. So, approximately a year from now, we all gonna have SSD's. It's about time. yeeee :)

I doubt that it will happen that quickly as others have said the price per GB on platters is just too great for SSD to match any time soon.

the way SSD price are still coming down, it's not too late to come into the game, we could always use more competition :)

This is what we need to get SSD prices down. All of the major HD makers with SSD drives should make them more affordable. I would very much like to get an SSD for my boot drive but I still can't justify the cost.

Back