Hl2.exe and iw3mp.exe doesn't leave memory.

By Everlong18
Feb 7, 2008
  1. It's been bugging me for a while now, and I can't find a solution anywhere else.

Whenever I'm playing a Valve game that uses hl2.exe, or Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer (iw3mp.exe), and I go to close the game, it goes to desktop and appears to have closed, but if I go to task manager and processes, the .exe is still there using around 200mb of RAM. If I try to close it then I just get an "Process could not be terminated.Access is denied" error.

Sometimes when I'm playing Counter Strike: Source and close it, the game stops responding and just hangs at a black screen with hl2.exe still running.

Anyone have any ideas?
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

I don't know about CoD4 (I have the game but have not yet installed it) but with Valve games there appears to be a brief time after you close a game that it searches the Valve website for Steam News or promos to display. Will it go away after say, 20 or 30 seconds?
  3. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,221

Agree with mailpup. Valve has HL2.exe stay open for a short period of time immediately after closing any Steam app.
  4. Everlong18

Everlong18 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 36

No, it stays there until I restart my computer manually.

I think I've fixed it for cod4, been playing it today and closed it a few times with the .exe closing at the same time.

Turned out it was to do with my sound drivers, must be the crappy c-media Vista drivers that came with the sound card I bought, so I took the sound card out and cleaned the drivers from my PC, and then enabled my on-board sound, which uses Vista HD sound drivers (and it actually sounds better than the c-media card).

Not sure if this fixes the hl2.exe, will have a look tomorrow.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.