Holiday Gift Guide 2013: Ivan's recommendations

By Ivan Franco
Dec 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Welcome back to TechSpot's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide! Ivan is a professional graphic designer, currently in charge of the Product Finder section on TechSpot. Ivan is a self-confessed gearhead and big time BSC fan (local soccer team -- and one...

Read more
  2. TheDreams

TheDreams TechSpot Booster Posts: 467   +43

I am thinking about buying the WD My Cloud 3TB Personal Cloud Storage but am wondering what the pros and cons are to it compared to others. Can you access the files when you have no Internet connection since they are stored in the cloud?
  3. EClyde

EClyde TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 136   +12

OH Please stop with these goofy gift guides. If people don't know what they want or what the important people in their lives want they shouldn't waste energy on a gift.
  4. TheDreams

It is not that people do not know what someone of importance to them wants, it is simply most people want quite a lot(really expensive usually) so they scan the gift guides looking for popular items for good deals(without spending lots of cash). I find them very helpful, and I enjoy looking at what others think is a good item to buy so I may change my mind on what is applicable.
    Wendig0 likes this.
  5. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 879   +170

I've enjoyed all of the gift guides. As TheDreams said, it's cool to see what other people think are good gifts. I'll probably be picking up one of the WD My cloud drives.

However, not sure if anyone has noticed. The WD My Cloud is incorrectly linked. It points to the 2TB drive not the 3TB drive. Not that it makes a big difference but, it's actually $180.00 instead of $150.00 which is for the 2TB model.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,818   +702

These gift guides are quite entertaining to read if nothing else. To take them seriously your name needs to be Bill Gates.
  7. Ivan Franco

Ivan Franco TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 99 Staff Member

Thanks a lot, I already fixed it
  8. Ivan Franco

Ivan Franco TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 99 Staff Member

Thanks a lot, I already fixed it =)
  9. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

It has a USB 3.0 port so you can hardwire it to your PC as just a normal external drive if your wireless router goes down.
  10. TheDreams

Alright sweet thanks :p
  11. EClyde

I had the 6 tb version. Yes you can access your files locally(at all times) or remotely if your ISP assigns you a static IP. I can't speak for other makes but WD gave me very good out of country service.

12. EClyde

I think gift guides are space filler and that the vendors prompt the articles.
  13. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TechSpot Maniac Posts: 481   +8

You're new so I won't be as critical as others, but Techspot does a lot of reviews/recommendations for a wide range of electronics, so with the incoming holidays I think buying guides are a perfect fit.
  14. EClyde

I ain't new, wish I was. I know what you meant though. I know all about forums and posting. It doesn't change from one place to another. A guide to buying? LOL ! Think about it for a few moments.
  15. TheDreams

Actually you are new to this forums page. There are many different types of forums out there, this one just happens to incorporate buying guides into it's user interface. I suggest if you do not like these guides made for you out of valuable time to simply steer clear of this subtopic.
  16. EClyde

You MUST be a regular at a linux forum somewhere. Every post doesn't have to be sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. Opinions can go counter to the CW so why don't you save it, eh?
  17. mattfrompa

I did, thank you. The point is some forum members enjoy looking at and referencing the guides, even if there is a vendor bias(which I don't buy). You can easily NOT read them. But what good does it do to suggest TS stop making them? If you don't think they are good recommendations it would be of much greater value to the forum if you gave reasons why.
  18. EClyde

You can just as easily ignore me as you suggest I do to articles and thus not comment but you don't. What color is that kettle? LOL !
  19. mattfrompa

Yeah because articles you aren't interested in are the same as complaints you can't justify. okay...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.