TechSpot

Holiday Gift Guide 2013: Jesse's recommendations

By Jesse
Dec 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Welcome back to TechSpot's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide! Jesse is a front-end web developer/designer, technophile, and futurist with a idealogical affinity towards paying for quality, as you'll see shortly. Enter to see his gift recommendations for this Holiday season....

Read more

2. Other than the home automation unit & low-end priced speakers (Not sure how the high-end perform so I can't say much for that) everything on the list seems over-priced...a plasma TV which clearly states they're about to discontinue, a $5 screw driver set (Almost any screw driver set with a rubberised handle will discharge static electricity), a $700 vacuum that you can't have with a big dog (I have photo evidence if you'd like to see it), the hydrogen "reactor" which is actual a simple "generator" - basically $170 to charge my iPhone 12 times?

*nerd*Although - By far one of the most unique gift line-up's I've ever seen. And for that, I tip my hat to you Jesse!

3. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 369   +40

But Guest, the holiday season is the best time for overpriced stuff you may never normally buy!

But in all seriousness, the plasma is my number one recommendation for a reason. It's being discontinued for any variety of reasons *not* including quality. My guess would be that the market just isn't there. David Katzmaier of CNET says...

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

That plasma TV is one of the highest rated TV's. Ever. And because it's being discontinued is a great time to buy. I think it's an excellent recommendation.

$700 for a damn vacuum cleaner?? No thanks, but I'm sure they'll sell a million of those things.

Love the jelly fish tank. Very cool. If it were in the $100 price range, I'd get one.

5. EClyde

EClyde TS Enthusiast Posts: 178   +22

OK forget that it's another useless gift guide. The gifts are all stupid esp the vacuum, the screwdriver set the TV, the Hydrogen reactor, the Jellyfish, the home automation gizmo. All that aside, these gifts capture the true meaning of Christmas, er Holiday, I mean and show you really care. Thanks for the filler Best Buy.

Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,178   +764

These useless gift guides are entertaining if nothing else. You need to be a Russian billionaire in the first place to even vaguely consider most of the suggestions.

7. *Same Guest*
    This is true! Sad...but true!
    IMO - The plasma is rated for great quality, but even with a high refresh rate it's hard to compare the plasma line-up to the crisp look of the LEDs, for instance...Microcenter has a 4k for the same price. Sure it might be a no-name brand but I'd be curious to see how they look side by side...I have a plasma and I get image-burn-ins, does this still happen?

(By the way, Samsungs version of this TV is $50 less) .

You should come out with a gift guide for us non Six-Figuree's *nerd*

8. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 930   +106

To the people freaking out about a $700 Vacuum cleaner, ever look at Dyson? If you don't like the price, don't buy one and shut your mouth about it. The portable Hydrogen Reactor charge station would need to be able to power something like, say, a laptop for it to be viable. The concept is still cool, albeit geeky as hell, but how many people do you know with a Hydrogen Reactor they can bring with them anywhere they go.

9. EClyde

EClyde TS Enthusiast Posts: 178   +22

Why must we shut our mouth about it? Did you buy one? LOL,

10. Oh Adhmuz must be the man who holds all knowledge! Too bad the most expensive Dyson is $650, and the average vacuum sold from them is between $400-$500. If you think for a minute that this robotic version of a vacuum will last nearly as long as my $400 Dyson then sir, you need to shut your mouth.

And for such a smart guy you'd know it's a hydrogen generator, the term "Reactor" was thrown in there to simply step away from the overly used term "Hydrogen Generator", in which it really is. Hence this is the only product that appears when you search for a hydrogen "Reactor".

11. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,457   +228

I think we've had enough mouth shutting, eh?

12. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 930   +106

Next time click the link, its a $699.99 vacuum by Dyson, and yes I own one. It cleans like nothing else, but you wouldn't know, because your too "special" to even click a link before opening your mouth, freakin' guest's, say what they want, nobody cares.

No, I own the Dyson I linked to. Nobody in their right mind would buy that vac-bot thing.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.