TechSpot

Holiday Gift Guide 2013: Shawn's recommendations

By Julio Franco
Nov 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Welcome to TechSpot's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide! We are taking a more personal approach to this year's tech gift recommendations by asking each of our editors and staff members to provide their own picks on gifts they would like to...

Read more

2. lmike6453

lmike6453 TS Rookie Posts: 98   +6

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't buy someone light bulbs as a holiday gift...let alone a $1800 camera

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,146   +737

Cool list, there are some very cool ideas here. Couple of things I noticed though.

#4 - Flip out mount. Very cool and looks great, but the TV in the picture isn't plugged in. Where to the wires and cable box go?

#5 - LED bulbs quote "Anytime I can save a bit of coin, especially over the long haul, I?m game." Me too.. which is why my house is full of CFL bulbs and therefore the savings of LED are tiny at best. I would bet most people are the same. CFLs wear out fast though when turned on and off frequently (like in a pantry) so that's where LEDs can shine (free pun!).

#6 - NEST thermostat - I hope in your review you compare it to another programmable thermostat. Like the LED bulb, comparing to tech from 1970 isn't realistic. The type of person who would buy a NEST is the same type of person who already owns a 7 -day programmable thermostat. I agree it can save you money though, especially as a gift when someone else buys it for you. :)

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,367   +405

LOL...it would be a cold day in hell if I had an HDTV dangling over my head like that.

Skidmarksdeluxe and misor like this.
  5. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,025   +154

chandelier + dangling tv over your bed = accident waiting to happen.
    I see a lot of supernatural movies/tv shows so that combo is a no, no. :)

if I were shopping today, I'd get the robotic vacuum, ocz ssd, and the google nexus 5.

6. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,577   +47

Who's this list aimed at? Bill Gates?

I've never spent more than £40 on a gift for anyone, nor recieved anything like a $1800 camera. My family must be just poor :(

Although come to think of it...those were a nice set of light bulbs I got last year.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,324   +799

Yeah. It a ridiculous thing IMO.

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,324   +799

"If I wasn?t already locked into a contract with another carrier, I?d consider scooping up the Nexus 5"
    I hope you've learned your lesson to stay away from those money making legal scams when your contract expires. The Nexus 5 is a very decent phone for the price.
    I'd take a gander at those LED light bulbs if my spot wasn't already full of CFL's already.
    The OCZ Vector 256GB SSD is a also nice piece of equipment but I already have one.
    As for the rest, I wouldn't give any of them a second glance.

9. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

Save your money on the OM-D EM-5 and go with a panny GX-7 if you like m4/3. The image quality on the EM-5 is good, but I've had serious problems with the image stabilization system malfunctioning, and I'm not keen at all on only having 1 autofocus point active at any given time (You can't focus on multiple areas of the frame simultaneously like you can with the GX-1). It's also rather uncomfortable to hold in my big hands without using a grip.

I've returned it to Olympus 3 times now to repair the faulty image stabilizer, and they will be sending me a new camera soon to replace my defective one, but it's going up on eBay with the kit 12-50mm lens along with several vintage olympus lenses, as soon as I get it back from the manufacturer. I've decided to go back to Nikon, and to keep my GX-1 w/20mm 1.8 as a backup.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.