Holodeck-style virtual reality gets a step closer with the Inversion VR system

By Shawn Knight
Feb 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The Oculus Rift is already pushing the bounds of virtual reality gaming far beyond anything else currently possible but thus far, you've pretty much had to use it while sitting stationary (or with a treadmill). That's no longer the case...

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,715   +286

Couldnt the data all be transmitted wirelessly from and to the PC outside the room? I mean I know that causes response rate problems but as its a stationary setup you could get some really high powered gear to do that, couldnt you?
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 861   +275

Nothing about this says Holodeck to me. In fact, this is an entirely different form of VR technology that isn't even conceptually related to the Holodeck.

A more accurate title would be "Inversion VR Takes Player Immersion to the Next Level"
  4. Ya da ya da blah blah they haven't been able to get this working since the early 90's so don't get your hopes up.
  5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 917   +26

On the contrary, they had it working since the early 90's. It was just never something more than a diversion, and probably never will until the need for putting something on your eyes to see the virtual scene goes away.
  6. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Booster Posts: 990   +82

"You can't run" No literally you can't run, our software isn't ready yet ^_^
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,224   +327

I don't get it. What is there to prevent people from constantly walking into the walls?

That's why Onmni system was designed, and I don't see any feasible work-around to it...
  8. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Booster Posts: 990   +82

it seems like the virtual room was made about the same size as the room they were in so you should at least know where the walls are.
    it's not going to come to consumers so it doesn't really matter. it's just a tech preview.
  9. Gumpngreen

Gumpngreen Newcomer, in training

Another solution would be to make walls with QR-like patterns on them that are then dynamically rendered as 3D game walls within the headset. Could even have torches and other features by having sub-patterns on the walls.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.