Home Network Efficiency Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
Who here has a home network that can sustain this kind of efficiency? This is my home network sustaining around 80-82 mbit/sec over 2.5 gigs of file transfer.
Network%2082.JPG
Network%20Trans.JPG

The spikes you see there are due to file changes during the transfer. At this moment there are 7 live machines on my network and the receiving machine was also pulling files from my file server. Another machine on this network was downloading from the internet at a steady 177 KByte/sec during this transfer as well.

I challenge all you guys to post screenies of your EFFICIENT home networks out there!

P.S. - Gigabit is definitely welcome!

LNCPapa

Eh, who here has a home network at all? ;)

I don't have one since my mum doesn't want an ugly cable running through the hallway...

May get a through floor cable once we get broadband.

/me has an integrated Gigabit NIC...

If I get a network it would be Gb...

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Thumbup for Vehementi on his shiny hardware.

Have you thought about a wireLESS network?

Well considering the price, 35' CAT5 Crossover - $11 vs. multiple hundreds for wireless...

Then there's the speed, 1000Mbps vs. 11Mbps...

Oh goodness - will someone please bite at this one - even if you don't beat it I'm curious about how other's networks are running.

LNCPapa

Ok fine

Yeh mine wasn't as good, but at least I'm posting something finally right?
network1.jpg

The transfer was from a 1Ghz Athlon T-bird from a Maxtor 80Gig 7200rpm HD through an Encore ENL832-TX+ NIC to a PIII 450Mhz(or 500 - its my roommates so I don't know) through an Intel 21143/2 based NIC to whatever hard drive is in a Gateway 500 computer via shielded crossover cable.
OSes involved WinXP Pro on my system, Win98se on his.

My network at home is fairly inefficient, mostly due to the fact that most of the network cards on it are 10mbp/s, and that I am using hubs, not switches.

Over the 100mbp/s hub I barely get 2mbytes/sec transfer, over the 10mbp/s hub i typically peak at 600k/sec (which is what half duplex speeds should be)

I have a home network but I having a small problem.

I have the Intel Anypoint phoneline network and I trying to upgrade my Anypoint suite from 2.0 to 2.32 but it comes back and reports that the card isn't configure right and it need to reboot. I let it reboot and install the driver again then reboot. After rebooting and then double click on the installation program and it return that the card is configure right. It reports this same error with the 2.20 driver but the 2.0 drivers installs without any problem.

I have the Intel Anypoint PCI 1.0 Mbps phoneline adapter in a Pentium 3 500 Mhz computer with 384 MB of memory and running on Windows 98 SE.

The 2.0 software runs well but sometimes when you press ctrl + alt + del it shows that the ISS has stop responding but when you click on the icon the software comes up. I not sure why this.

Here's a shot of a GiGE home network:
- ASUS P4T533-C
- Intel 1000MT NICs
- LinkSys 8-Port GigE Switch (EG008W)
- HITACHI/IBM GXP180 IDE Drives (non-RAID)

Three machines I do design work on and routinely transfer 2~4GByte files between machines.
Also can share any resource, ie., harddrives, DVD writers, digital O-scopes, etc., without
worrying about underruns.

Can also use DSL simultainiously at 1.3mbit/sec down, and still transfer files between PC
without any impact on performance. The network is faster than IDE disk I/O (non-RAID) and
is limited by speed of harddisk sustained read/write rates.

It's saving at least two hours per day, compared to 100mbit/sec network, which only transferred
at about 80mbit/sec.

Time to transfer 2.2GByte file:
100 = 220 sec = 80mbit/sec
GiGE = 59 sec = 305mbits/sec

About 370% faster. RAID users would go much faster, approaching 500mbits/sec.

/me is officially jealous. I want to start switching my network over to gig - but it's gonna be fairly expensive for me. I'm still gonna start the transition though. Awesome speeds btw :)

I've replaced the A7V266-e + Via Rhine combination on one of my machines by a K7S8X with an onboard NIC. I rarely went above 50% in efficiency when trading files between that machine & my main one using the 3Com onboard NIC.

This is the efficiency of the new setup.:)

Attachments

• network_efficiency.png
    network_efficiency.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 14
Here's mine, I think the reason for the lapses in speed is because I was copying over mp3s from one comp to the other with TotalCopy and I had it do 'No to All' when it ran into a duplicate, and there were several duplicates.

networkspeed.jpg

i want to know how the hell you get transfers like that? The fastest download speed i have seen is around 600kbs, usually only alittle abouve 300kbs though. (2.5-3%) over the internet. from mine to my kids was about 45% on average sending 350 mb of music.

Bipolar

Here, this is pretty good:
network.png

Not sure about those dropoffs, I could have sworn I've seen it stay maxed for a while before. If I think about it, and see it flatlined again I'll screenshot that.

Edit: Here :)
network2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back