TechSpot

Home network, looking for server to share files between computers.

By wyrmwraith
Mar 6, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm thinking something similar to ftp, have no idea what options there are.

Have 3 computers want to network between both in a more convenient manner than msn.

Hopefully can get some recomendations to minimise trauling time. Both computers are running windows XP and are connected through a multi-port router.

Thanks for any input.
  2. gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook Newcomer, in training Posts: 528

You should be able to do this simply WITHOUT a server. All you have to do to share files, is use windows file sharing. Let me paint a picture for you...say you have your 3 computers. One is named Suzy, one is Steve, and one is Bill. Once file sharing is enabled (which you can do just by sharing a file), you should be able to do something similar to this. Say your on the computer Bill, and you want to grab some files from the shared folder on Suzy. Open up my computer, and in the address bar (Where is says your location) type in \\Suzy. This will give you access to the files and printers on that computer. BTW if you dont know how to rename a computer, right click on the my computer icon and select properties. Once the system tool comes up, click on computer name and change if necessary. Good luck and I hope this helps make things cheaper than buying a crappy old server lol.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

You can also access all files on all the computers using the \\computer\driveletter$ notation. A la \\Suzy\c$ will give you the contents of Suzy's C: drive.

These administrative shares are accessible only to users with administrative rights.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,369   +302

for security and system integrity reasons, you should share only files within
    \Documents and Settings.

in this manner, you protect your c:\ and c:\windows from overlays.

the C$\ share is intended for systems connected to a Domain Controller where
    an admin can perform remote maintenance for the department IT group.
  5. gavinseabrook

Especially if you are running a station on a wireless network. You dont want people to view/modify you stuff :p. Unless your router is encrypted....well...wep cracking is pretty easy lol
  6. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 Newcomer, in training Posts: 574

My understanding was that wep keys haven't as yet been cracked ... if you have cracked one or have software that does so, please share!

I have clients who can't remember their WEP keys hassling me all the time!
  7. jobeard

1) WEP is easilty cracked, but NO we will not show you how
    2) client issues re WEP keys can easily reset the key to a known, new value.
    They should migrate to WPA/2 keys which are much-much harder to crack.

AND, btw, once properly configured, there's nothing to remember anyway.
  8. mikescorpio81

mikescorpio81 Newcomer, in training Posts: 574

WPA IKE is extremely secure, but with some clients of mine after configuration and troubleshooting to get the re-connected I tend to sometimes remove their connection listed and re-add it. Some can't remember and I then have to go through the extra trouble of re-setting through their router, which in turn some do not know their router passwords!

I always get through it though none the less ... it is intriguing to say the least on how to crack a WEP key, but of course I respect the fact that we can't discuss it here! :grinthumb
  9. wyrmwraith

wyrmwraith Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 38

It would seem the problem i have here is i'm good at disabling all manner of services related to file sharing, when it comes to turning them back on i'm lost.

I've gone through services.msc enabling what I think to be relevant processes, seems i'm missing some crutial ingredient. I'm thinking i'll grab the laptop and make a comparison. Thanks for the above advice.

note: i'm wondering whether via 3rd party software it may be possible to bypass the dependencies in services.msc which are enabled by default.
  10. jobeard

File sharing documentation

Clarification from MS

Simple File Sharing

How To Configure FS kb30404

Synopsis:
    • All computers mus be on the same subnet
    • must have the same workgroup name (cp->system->Computer Name tab)
    • File Sharing must be enabled on the Lan NIC card
    • Firewall must allow ports 138-139,445 for the local lan ip addresses only
    • the Guest account password will control the ability to Map network Drive
      (hint: it can still be disabled for login and be used for Simple File Sharing)
  11. wyrmwraith

Good afternoon.

I know how to configure filesharing and have it working between 2 pc's. The PC i specifically need it on will setup and configure fine (filesharing) but it wont acknowledge the network. I'm assuming this is to do with alterations i made in services.msc .. I can't find a relevant list of required services anywhere.

12. gavinseabrook

What do you mean "Wont acknowledge the network"?
  13. wyrmwraith

If i go to windows explorer for instance, network connections is listed. Normally you can browse and select the shared folder of the other pc's on the network which are enabled. This particular pc i can see network connections but it's not detecting any other pc's on the netwok.
  14. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,625   +82

Check your Local Security Policies for this PC you're having trouble with, it might be set guest mode and should be put into Classic mode for Networking.. Also make sure under Services.msc make sure you have Network Connections Started and Computer Browsing also Started and are both set to Automatic.
  15. jobeard

all pcs must be able to ping each other; from sysA ping sysB and conversely.

an attempt to Map Network Drive will show if your firewall is allowing the
    correct ports to flow (ie no names== no ports)

I show:

Application Layer Gateway
    Windows Firewall/ICS
    depends upon:
    Network Connections,
    Windows Mgmt Instrumentation, and
    Remote Procedure Call​
  16. tipstir

Could run this tool to see if it see all the pcs systems on your network....
    Single or multi - IP range can scan your entire domain or workgroup

[​IMG]

http://lantricks.com/lanspy/

freeware tool, I've use it at work to spot problems and to see if systems go SP2 as they were suppose too..
  17. wyrmwraith

Got to say this has me stumped. I can ping the computer with that handy tool, all services are enabled yet i still can't accessing filesharing of the laptop. Doesn't make sense when the other two computers can communicate fine.
  18. tipstir

How to you sign on to the laptop with the same user ID and password? There is something on the laptop that is not set correctly.
  19. tipstir

Are you using the Windows XP Pro SP2 firewall on this laptop?
  20. tipstir

Try to force this policy on the laptop:

click on start
    click on run
    type: gpedit.msc
    Under user configuration
    click on Adminstrative template
    then click on shared folders
    setup a policy for allow shared folders to be published to enable.

also you can enable some more polices under
    Network then Network Connections in the same GP.

go back to run and type: secpol.msc
    click on local policies
    click on sercurity options
    Make sure that Guess Account is disable
    Also change the Guest Account to another name
    Scroll down the list and make sure Network access Sharing is set to classic
    Scroll some more and change Network Security Lan Manager autthentication level to Send NTLM responses

Do this for all your PCs on your network at home..
  21. wyrmwraith

Yes i am, the laptop has xp pro the other 2 pc's are just home edition. My pc won't acknowledge the laptop and vice versa, the othe home edition pc communicates no problem with the laptop. All are setup for network : MShome.

Just seen previous post, will get onto it right now. Thanks for your assistance so far.
  22. tipstir

Oh you're using Home Editions no wonder you're having problems. Better to have XP Pro running on all PCs. Home isn't network friendly, no security features can't run domain on it. Well you're at home you don't need a domain. To fix the home editon problems you need to download X-Setup http://www.x-setup.net/ and use the network login tool to trick the Home Edition to act like XP Pro. I've done this myself when I had home Edition on the new Laptop.

Network Login you would have to make by default: username, password and your workgroup name MSHome. So everytime you login on the Home ED it will connect to your network automatically when you turn on your laptop. Still the XP Pro would be idea as it will give you better security for your network. I got rid of the Home ED and installed XP Pro...
  23. wyrmwraith

hmm, i've made the reccomended adjustments to the laptop(pro) computer will see whats up on this one and possibly consider going pro. I'll update this post with a response, got a fair bit of backing up to do if i make the switch.
  24. tipstir

Okay take your time, no rush.. Report back how you make out okay? :)
  25. jobeard

XP/Pro will have gpedit.msc, XP/home does not

XP/Home only uses Simple File Sharing AND uses the Guest account for access
    (even though it is disabled for login). REVERIFY this.

I have XP/Home and can share nicely with OS/X (ie a Mac), Win/98se, and Linux, so it can work. :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.